Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2004 9:01:18 AM EDT
My buddy want to buy a Colt or Bushmaster AR15 M-4 A3 arter the ban expires. He wanted me to ask if anyone has used this rifle for hunting (deer/hogs), and if so what sights/scope are you using and how accurate is it at distance? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I've not used mine for hunting yet but I am taking it deer hunting this season. It's a .300 Fireball(can't use under .24cal for big game in Tennessee.) so it'll be about like a 30/30Win. in it's proformance.  I'd go with a larger caliber then the 5.56x45mm for hog but if you place your shots and keep em' short with the right bullet it'll should work for deer, especially smaller ones.  If he doesn't mind not having alot of ammo available yet he could build up a 6.8Rem.SPC , that'd be a good deer/hog ctg. or do like I did and get a .300 FB, it'll work fine on deer/hog and at a later date he could pick up a suppressor for it and load sub-sonic and have a load of fun. For hogs I'd really want something bigger then a .22.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:13:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Dragnet,

Link to my latest hunt 2 weeks ago:

M4gery + .308Win = 4 DEAD HOGS
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Dragnet,

Link to my latest hunt 2 weeks ago:

M4gery + .308Win = 4 DEAD HOGS

Well, sure, a 5.56mm will work on a little hog like that but when you get into a 250-300lb. Wild hog like we've got here in Tennessee you'll need a bigger pill to knock em' over with.  I'm not saying it won't kill em', you'll just kill em' faster with something bigger.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I took my first buck with my M4.

He was a good-sized Mulie, and he paused for about one second at the top of a ridge about 125 yards away. From a low ready position, I brought the muzzle up. As soon as I saw antlers, I clicked the safety off and pressed the trigger once, dispensing a Winchester 64 grain Power Point. At the shot, he leaped straight up, and then crumpled off the far side of the ridge, rolling into a bush about 10 yards down the other side. He was done. The bullet went exactly where I had intended. It took out both shoulders, both lungs, and blew about the top third of his heart out in a large V-shape. There was an exit wound.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well, sure, a 5.56mm will work on a little hog like that but when you get into a 250-300lb. Wild hog like we've got here in Tennessee you'll need a bigger pill to knock em' over with.  I'm not saying it won't kill em', you'll just kill em' faster with something bigger.  

Well, here's a ~200# trophy boar w/ 1 round of Q3131A head shot.
200#Boar head shot

I will hunt what ever I encounter, not just little ones, but larger ones, if it takes double or triple taps, I think I can double/triple tap center mass of the large hogs under 2 seconds.

I've seen a hunter shot a 300# hog 3 times w/ 30-06, placement baby, placement.
Yes larger caliber has more knock down power, but 5.56mm makes the hunter uses his skills more  

Can you engage multiple moving targets w/ a scoped bolt action ?  I sure can w/ a red-dot AR
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well, yeah, but you have a lot more fun shooting those bigguns with a smaller round.  30 rounds of 5.56 will make for an interesting hunt.

I'm curious about this, I mentioned to my boss (who is not a hunter but is fairly familiar with most gun information) about the AR15 I'm getting (and the couple 30 round mags I'm getting) and I was debating hunting with it, but he said that he thought that anything over 10 rounds is illegal to hunt with in NYS.
Anyone know if this is the case? For what it's worth, I'm not sure I really would go hunting in the first place, and I have yet to even apply for my hunting license here.

Thanks if anyone is in the know about the wonderful NYS laws :)
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:24:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Just be sure to check the rules and regulations if you want to hunt on wildlife management areas.   Semi-automatics that have a magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds are prohibited.

Thus starts the search for 5 round ar-15 mags.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:27:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Do they make 5 round mags?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Here in Arkansas, as long as its
- NOT rimfire, and
- NOT using FMJ ammo,
it's a legal deer rifle.

No minimum diameter, no minimum energy level, etc. I hunt with guys who still use (400 ft/lb) .32-20's with lead rn bullets.

Your rifle can be any centerfire caliber, and hold as many rounds as you wish. Heck, we can even hunt with suppressors and full-autos, if we want.

Handguns, as long as it's centerfire, non-fmj ammo, and has at least a 4" barrel, it's legal as well. (So a Russian Nagant revolver is legal for deer hunting here, go figure...)

For me this year, it's the CAR-15 with the M4-2000 silencer and compact Leupold 1-4x scope. (Gotta offset all those 1880's rifles at camp, ya know... ht,

Now, squirrel season...? Using subsonic .22's with a silenced semi-auto, I'm hoping to show them what a "harvest" really is...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#12]
You could use ten rounders "blocked" to four or five rounds. I belive they sell capacity limiting inserts but can't remember where.  I know not much help sorry.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Somebody needs to tack this somewhere. If not here then in the hunting forum.

It's almost worse than "what gun does Al Pacino use in Heat?".
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#14]
And while we're on the subject, I think that all of us who plan on using out AR's, AK's or other AW's to hunt with this fall/winter should send Fineswine a pic of the game that we bagged along with the rifle that we used to bag it. Maybe if a few thousand of us do that they'll get off the "AW's can't be used for hunting" kick.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been watching a twelve point Whitetail for 2 weeks. Planning on bagging him with my Bushy M4A3, if the Lord's willing and the creek don't rise.
Well, if the creek rises I'll still bag Em'. Rest assured Ms. Feinswine will get a pic.

"CONGRATS" to AR Kitty Katt nice kills....I'm not far from ya, Central Louisiana. Sows I like shootin 'Em behind the ear. Them boars though, they a lil' tricky. I usually wait for a 90 degree on his vitals. When I can't achieve that I shoot them in the head just above the eyes.
GOOD LUCK this season.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
And while we're on the subject, I think that all of us who plan on using out AR's, AK's or other AW's to hunt with this fall/winter should send Fineswine a pic of the game that we bagged along with the rifle that we used to bag it. Maybe if a few thousand of us do that they'll get off the "AW's can't be used for hunting" kick.

YES.  But send the photos to Larry Craig (ID) and Jeff Sessions (AL) as well, so that they have some visuals to put up (hey they put up all kinds of charts saying guns are bad mmm kay?)  to counter that argument on the senate floor
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top