Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/28/2006 10:35:36 PM EDT
Why do people carry extra bolts and firing pins?  Do they break often?  I notice lots of accessories make room to house extra bolts...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Although it doesn't happen often, firing pins and bolts can break.  If you are in a combat situation (i.e. Iraq) it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to carry a spare.  You know, just in case.  Your life may depend on it.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:39:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Although it doesn't happen often, firing pins and bolts can break.  If you are in a combat situation (i.e. Iraq) it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to carry a spare.  You know, just in case.  Your life may depend on it.  

+1

Hooah!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:12:37 AM EDT
[#3]
it would also ruin a fun day if it were to happen and you didnt have a spare
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:42:22 AM EDT
[#4]
But  just to give you a bit of reassurance, the Colt SP1 carbine I've owned since 1978, and fired multi thousands of rounds thru, has needed only one part replacement in all those years---a new extractor spring

Yes, I keep a spare firing pin around for my 5 (soon to be 6) ARs, but I've never had to use it.  What used to be my spare bolt assy, has gone into the build I'm in the middle of.  If I luck onto another milsurp Colt bolt at a good price, I'll probably buy another; but in the meantime I'm not particularly worried.

ARs, when well built  by one of the major outfits, are reliable and long lasting.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top