Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2003 5:51:32 PM EDT
Anyone have any tips for removal of a barrel nut (trying to install a free float handguard).  I have a DPMS wrench and the nut wont budge.  I have saturated the nut with oil, lucked the barrel in a vise, and i am turning it counterclockwise.  Still the nut wont budge.  Am i doing something wrong....any tips?  Thanks guys

Rob
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#1]
First off don't laugh ok.... freeze it. I have a friend that's a local Nat. Guard Armorer and asked him to verify this practice I had heard about because I figured it had to be a joke. Guess I was wrong as he explained about the steel nut and the aluminum receiver being of different metals of course and a bunch of other things. He ended explaination by saying if it was something worth saving they did this... if not the nut was cut off. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks CMtaylor...i'll give it a try...i'll store the upper by my frozen fish...seriously i'll let you know how it goes.  Thanks

rob
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Freezing the barrel can help. The only problem I have seen from using this method is condensation. When you remove the barrel from the freezer condensation can form on the barrel. When using a barrel vice, the condensation may cause the barrel to slip in the blocks.

Good luck!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top