Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2003 9:42:55 PM EDT
I want to build an A.O.W. (any other weapon) from my new beautiful MEGA lower, but I noticed it was transferred to me as a "Long Gun"

This lower is brand new, and has never been assembled...I guess the FFL guys just assume its for a rifle.

Can I legally make an AOW from this lower, or do I NEED a pistol lower.

I saw someone else post there was a way to convert a rifle lower into a pistol lower (involving a judge and a magic wand, I think).
If I have to, what is the process?

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:14:50 PM EDT
Technically, as long as the receiver has never had a stock attached to it, you're OK.

Most people prefer to get it "papered" as a handgun or as a bare receiver for CYA purposes.

To be absolutely sure, contact the manufacturer for confirmation that it shipped from their factor as a stripped lower, and a letter to that effect from them should establish its bonafides and cover you adequately.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:20:26 AM EDT
Why can't your FFL correct his mistake????
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:12:14 PM EDT
FFL doesnt think he made a mistake.

He says "the lower is logged at the factory as a rifle lower, and nothing can change that"

I dont beleive him.

Checking with the ATF...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top