Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/9/2007 5:45:02 AM EDT
List...

In the quest for reasonably priced .223 ammo, I have been scouring the local trader paper every week since forever.  Basically with zero results.  This past weekend, however, I found an ad for 200 rnds of factory .223 for $35.  I went over and checked things out...but cannot easily id part of the 200 rnds that I bought.  I am familiar with the FMJ and hunting round stuff...but this???

Here is what I picked up:
1) 100 rnds of Black Hills Blue box.  Looks like 50 or 55 gr FMJ.  I recognize this.

2) 100 rnds of Hornady.  This is the stuff I have never seen before and would like help identifying.  It was in a red box with a label: .223 Rem TAP Urban 55 gr.  Each bullet has what appears to be a red plastic tip.  All new (I think) Hornady brass.

What is this Hornady stuff used for?  Is it a hunting round?  Guess I could have Googled to save time...but what the heck.  I thought of you guys first.  

200 factory rnds for $35 of any .223 these days seems ok.  Even if I don't know what some of it is!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#1]
It is a varmint hunting round attempted to be pressed into police service. Out of the TAP boxes, it is intended for theoretical use on people, but if you understand the recommended ammo threads then you know why this is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Nevertheless, 200 rounds of just about anything for $35 is one helluva deal.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Give you $40 for it......  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top