Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2006 8:03:27 PM EDT
Looking at getting a TA50-4 don't know which color any advantage either way? Looking for opinions or experiences.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:16:09 AM EDT
[#1]
maybe red is better but I like mine with amber dot
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:31:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used them both and prefer amber. It would be best to choose for yourself though. Different people see colors differently.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:34:21 AM EDT
[#3]
My ACOG is amber and my Aimpoint has a red dot.  I like the amber ACOG so much I wish they made the electronic dot of the Aimpoint amber.  My eyes pick up amber faster than red.

MadDog
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:27:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Scientifically speaking, amber is "easier" for your eyes to see than red.  Amber "appears" to be brighter at the same intensity as red.  Think of a red digital bedside clock vs. a green one.  A green digital clock will light up the whole bedroom, while a red one doesn't cast any visible light.

There MAY be an issue with washout in certain situations though, which is why a lot of guys choose red.  I had a TR21 in red, and it was GREAT in the daytime, but I did notice that at night, it was difficult to see at first.  If I get another, it will most likely be amber because it would go on a rifle that gets used for shooting armadillos, not "SHTF".  In the daytime, if I can't see the amber reticle, I'll use the black pointer.

It is personal preference since our eyes do see color differently from one person to the next.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:38:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I have owned both the amber and the red models, and I prefer the red.  I actually swapped out the amber one I had for a red one in the same model.  The problem I have with amber, is that it tends to blend in with alot of the natural coloring outside.  That was my experience anyway.

Trijicon states that scientifically the human eye picks up the amber color better than red, but it was the exact opposite for me.  I seem to recall them also stating that the amber is better suited to night vision.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:39:00 AM EDT
[#6]
The human eye does pick up amber better than red; unfortunately our world is also lit by a large orb of amber light (imagine using a red dot in a red-lit photography studio for a comparison). This means there are a lot of things reflecting yellow light or that appear to be the same color as your reticle. If you get a background that is lit to the same intensity as your reticle, your reticle disappears (i.e. any TA01NSN reticle around dusk or dawn). This happens with red ACOGs as well but the absence of red lit backgrounds generally makes it less of an issue.

However, you already have the correct answer which is "Try both and see which your eyes like better". Vision is remarkably specific to an individual in a lot of ways. To use just one example, people who are red colorlblind are going to find amber a lot easier to use.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:54:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I prefer red. Like Mr Roberts said, you have to try it but you need to take into consideration what the scenery will be like.

For instance, one of my buddies kept talking up his green red dot. He had only shot it at the range and he loved it. Long story short, when he shot it outside he wasn't so fond of it anymore.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:22:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#9]
red
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#10]
amber for me, but I looked through both first just to make sure...
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:41:12 AM EDT
[#11]
daytime : amber

nightime : red
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:54:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I find red to be far more useful overall.

I can't understand how amber is supposed to be better when the daytime environment (99% of my shooting time) does NOT contrast enough with amber because the colors are so similar. Now with red, there is a definite contrast there, therefore an instant pickup for me.

Nightime, either could work I'll admit.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I find red to be far more useful overall.

I can't understand how amber is supposed to be better when the daytime environment (99% of my shooting time) does NOT contrast enough with amber because the colors are so similar. Now with red, there is a definite contrast there, therefore an instant pickup for me.

Nightime, either could work I'll admit.

Because not everywhere looks like Arizona desert or Midwestern CRP grass...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:25:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't forget Todd when you take your EOTech off your AR and get your ACOG your gonna need another rifle to put your EOTech on..................Sig 556.................think about it....................
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:22:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
daytime : red

nightime : amber

Fixed it for ya!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top