Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2004 2:15:06 AM EDT
Will an AK type muzzle brake by Bushmaster look good or "proper" in an A2 upper w/ 14.5 M4 barrel?, I believe the design of the AK brake is russian,  and the M4 barrel is american, will they look good together? Can I still mount  a bayonet with this brake? because the standard A2 flash hider, does nothing to soften felt recoil specially on extended shooting sessions.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:28:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Checkout the bushmaster website its called the bushmaster A2 AK, I will be aquiring one this weekend to convert after the ban.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:27:51 AM EDT
[#2]
A lot of guys don't like a brake that is nosiey, and this one is, but it works great. It depends if you want a reduction in barrel rise and recoil. I have one of their A2 AK-Shorty's that I have shot in IPSC for some time now. I think everyone's view of "proper" is very subjective. I like it a lot, I think it looks fine, but to me looks are second fiddle to effectiveness and I find the AK brake to work very well. Go to the Bushy web site and look at one, or email me and I'll send you a jpg of mine with an Aimpoint. The baynot will slip over the AK brake, I tried it, and it will line up with the 14.5" barrel. For a while I had a Bushy V-Match 16" Fluted with the AK Brake. That was a nifty set up. BTW, I don't think the bayonet will work at all with 16" barrels but like I said the 14.5" is fine.

Bill
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:37:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I hope Bushy and all other companies stop selling these damn brakes after the 13th.  Get a flash sup and be done with it on the 14th.  Brakes suck, have always sucked, and will continue to suck on ARs.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:46:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I hope Bushy and all other companies stop selling these damn brakes after the 13th.  Get a flash sup and be done with it on the 14th.  Brakes suck, have always sucked, and will continue to suck on ARs.

Sounds like my old girlfriend.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:49:12 AM EDT
[#5]
You might want to look at the Miculek compensator. Don't know if the bayonet will fit over it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Will an AK type muzzle brake by Bushmaster look good or "proper" in an A2 upper w/ 14.5 M4 barrel?,

My first 5.56 AR upper was the Bushmaster A1 upper with their M4/AK barrel.  It's the 14.5" M4 barrel with the AK brake permanently attached.

Mk3 Version of my Carbine with the AK Brake

It looked mediocre and I was always concerned I'd bend one of the two tines holding the muzzle ring on.  The Mini-Y Comp looks better, the IZZY brake looks the best (of the Bushmaster offerings).

BTW the AK brakes adds so much length that instead of a 16" barrel you end up with something more like a 17" barrel (I didn't like that at all).

If you must have a factory brake then get the Izzy, the best post-ban brake though for looks is definately the KKF A3 'Tac brake'.

Mk4 Version of my carbine with the KKF A3 Tac Brake (close up of brake is shown above)

BTW NO Legal post-ban brake will allow the use of a Bayonet.  In order to avoid being labeled as a 'Grenade Launcher'  All brakes were either over 26mm in diameter or under 24mm in diameter.

You need a muzzle device of 25mm in diameter to mount the Bayonet.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:40:04 PM EDT
[#7]
why?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:27:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Bushy AK-Shorty and I put a bayonet on and it fits just fine on the 14.5" barrel. The brake on my rifle is not too big.
twistedcomrade, it really depends what you are doing with the rifle, I for one shoot mine in competition and fast and accurate follow-up shots are more important than what it looks like and how it sounds, as a matter of fact I pretty don't give a crap as long as it is fast and accurate. The AK brake works for me. When I first started shooting 3 gun almost ten years BEFORE the ban, most of us pitched the flash suppresors and bought brakes, back then flash hidders held no mythic qualities. To me they still don't.

Bill
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:27:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:25:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I prefer the AK brake for my postban.  To me it looks better than the Y-comp with those big holes.  And it works great.  As far as the noise is concerned, it doesn't bother me but might bother fellow shooters
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top