Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2002 3:13:22 AM EDT
Does anyone know if the Bushy AK comp is quieter than the mini-Y comp to the shooter and to those who are standing to the sides of the shooter?
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 4:10:22 AM EDT
[#1]
They all are about the same. Some are tuned a little differnt then others but they are all loud. I have the AK brake and I love the way it keeps the rifle from jumping way off target for follow up shots.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 7:28:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had a couple rifles with the Mini-Y comp and a couple with the Bushmaster AK brake on them....all were factory built rifles....

My first Mini-Y wasn't too loud, but the second Mini-Y comp I got was EXTREEMLY LOUD even with 2 sets of hearing protection....the Mini-Y directs all the blast, gases, and noise back toward the shooter...

The AK is a loud brake, but is not bothersome as long as you wear hearing protection...I just wear the little foam earplugs and the noise doesn't bother me at all....The AK brake does a MUCH better job at reducing muzzle flip than the Mini-Y...Muzzle flip with the AK is almost non existant and I've fired the AK brake on full auto and was very impressed.

Basically the Mini-Y is very noisy and bothersome and doesn't do that great of a job at reducing muzzle flip....The AK on the other hand does an excellent job at reducing muzzle flip and isn't that noisy as long as you are wearing hearing protection....just my .02

Link Posted: 11/2/2002 7:34:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I’m new to AR’s---Got my first about 2 weeks ago. It’s a Bushmaster A3 16” Shorty.  I’m interested in putting a muzzle brake on it ---
Which on should I get and how do they mount—the barrel is not threaded.

Thanks--
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Stay away from the mini-y comp...you can NEVER shoot it w/0 hearing protection...
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#5]
The The Comp y/Mini Y will appear the loudest to the user (and neighbors), BUT is more effective than the AK brake in terms of muzzle rise and felt recoil.  If you think those two are "loud" then you should see the Smith Compensator in action.  You can blow dry your neighbor's hair if you were to shoot rapid fire.

For Post ban barrels (no threads) Bushmaster makes theier compensators that will slip over the end and are pinned/welded in place.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#6]
The AK brake is the better of the two IMO.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The AK brake is the better of the two IMO.

I have an Bushy AK shorty and had a Bushy M4 upper with the Mini Y (I decided to send it to Kurt to have a FFS put on, I regret that now) and the Mini Y definitely has less kick and muzzle rise than the AK (Maybe it's just my particular brake(s)) I fired a friends AR with a Smith Compensator and let me say, I've felt .22's with more kick, and I could empty a magazine without much re adjustment.

In any case Both the Mini Y and the AK brakes are very good.

Edited because the "A" button is too close to the "S" button.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I find the Mini-Y too abusive to shoot, for others as well as myself. I have tried other style brakes that control muzzle climb a little better but are louder to the shooter then the AK. I did get a chance to drop my Bushy AK upper onto an M-16 and it definitely worked great at keeping the muzzle down.

I will also add that I think the AK brake is pretty cool looking as well.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:26:09 AM EDT
[#9]

the Mini Y definitely has less kick and muzzle rise than the AK

Not trying to get in a pissing contest with you...but this is the first time that I've ever heard anyone say that the Mini-Y comp has less kick and muzzle rise than the AK....

It has been my experience and many others that have shot both breaks that the AK is much better at reducing felt recoil and muzzle rise than the MINI-Y comp....now on the other hand the full sized Y-COMP (the one with 3 holes) is just a bit better than at reducing recoil and muzzle flip than the AK brake...I've shot numerous carbines that had the Mini-Y and the AK on the end of the barrel, and from my experience the Mini-Y still has quite a bit more muzzle flip than the AK brake.

I have only shot 2 different rifles that had the FULL SIZED Y-COMP brake (3 hole), and both times they were on 16" Bushmaster barrels...I did not experience the noise or feel the back blast like I did with the MINI-Y comp...The full sized Y-COMP really impressed me...no muzzle rise at all....Just my experiences

Link Posted: 11/3/2002 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, I wish I knew this before I got the Bushmaster Mini-Y M4gery.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#11]
What you also have to remember is that the Mini Y is usually on the M4 barrel, while the AK brake is usually on the Hbar.  The AK Brake on my 20 incher makes my carbines feel like .50 cals (Yes, that's an over exageration, but I think you'll get the idea).  Head to head, on similar barrels, I think the Miny Y works better on the recoil and muzzle rise than the AK brake, but like I said, they're both good brakes.  And like VA said the Miny Y is definitely more abusive to the shooter and neighbors than the AK brake.  The Smith Compensator to me is the best of the three in regards to recoil and muzzle rise BUT is THE most abusive to the neighbors.  Shooting with Ronin45 with his Smith Compensator on his carbine, I watched as the guy hair next to him would literally fly all over the place everytime Ronin squeezed the trigger.  It was very amusing.  We tried the same with the miny Y but the guys hair didn't move as much.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Does Bushmaster offer permanently attached AK brakes on post ban 14.5" M4 barrels?  (I prefer the M4 profile, sue me.)

Edited:  Never mind.  I checked BM webpage.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I own both, and have shot both in competition.  The Mini-Y comp is the most effective brake on the market, period.  Both of these brakes are very good at eliminating recoil/muzzle rise, but the difference is in torque.  At speed, the AK brake imparts a slight ammount of torque to the barrel, or does not eliminate this natural condition.  The Mini-Y eliminates all barrel torque and muzzle rise.  It is very evident when using a dot sight, because the dot does not move; there is no recovery time between shots.

Yes, muzzle brakes are loud as a direct relationship to their efficiency.  That is what hearing protection was made for.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top