Posted: 3/13/2011 5:23:27 PM EDT
Title says it all.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Who makes this AR?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The SR-47 was made by Knight's Armament

Only 7 were made; sixe went to USSOCOM, the 7th one is at the Reed Knight's Museum at their offices in TItusville, FL.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#3]
That is what Sgt. Perkins (aka Packy") of the CatShit One video uses...awesome!

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The SR-47 was made by Knight's Armament

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6453/011020101644.jpg

Only 7 were made; sixe went to USSOCOM, the 7th one is at the Reed Knight's Museum at their offices in TItusville, FL.

He is asking about the  AR-47 lower, NOT the SR-47
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe I should rephrase and ask if AK-47 and AK-74 mags are interchangeable as far as how they sit in a magwell.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#6]
No idea. Probably have better luck over in the AK section.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#7]
The searching I did turned up "yes" with slight modification to the rear lug on the mag.  Or a slight trim of the latch on the lower?  Although I'd mod mags before I fooled with a $375+ lower.

No idea whether that is true, but I have been doing the same research.  I plan on building a 7.62x39mm gun and maybe a 5.45 one down the line off the same lower chassis.  Of which, I intend to use the AR47 lower, or if I have to... MGI.  Even though I need a modular lower for $500  like I need a hole in my head.  

Seeing as though you have to run a special firing pin, but more likely a heavier hammer spring - which you won't be using on 5.56 or any of their other calibers.  I don't see why they think the 7.62 portion is "modular" anyway.  Are you really going to swap a hammer spring each time too?    

So why not make the 7.62 lower one piece, and not $500.  

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No idea. Probably have better luck over in the AK section.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I had two or three of the AR47 lowers.  Depending on the make, the dimensions are all over the board, and nowhere near mil-spec - in other words, nothing lines up if it is made by Vulcan....

Next, you need to have the upper modified to allow the wider AK mag to enter the upper (top part of the mag enters bottom section of the upper) - part of it needs to be milled away, making the side walls rather thin... precariously so with a milspec upper...

Then, you need to modify the carrier to clear the wider mag as well - cutting hardened steel is always fun, hope you have some carbide mills...

There is not a real need to modify the bolt or install a heavier spring, just be ready to clear lots of duds... I have a 5.45 and some of the firing pin strikes are brutally deep and still they did not touch off, I think it is the ammo...

Then finally:

AK47 and AK74 mags are NOT the same, there is a slight difference in the length of the mags and depending on the type of mag, they will not fit the AR47 mag well (interference in several areas due to the "rocking" to set the mag).  Note than an AK74 will not accept AK47 mags and vice versa, so that should tell you something...

I built one complete AR47 in 5.45 for a customer, don't think I will do that again... lots of work to get it all to fit.  Had to modify the mag catch and then still mill away part of the lower...  I also built one up in 44 AMP just because...

Frankly, they now make pretty decent AR specific magazines for both 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 so I would just get those mags and be done... a lot cheaper than getting a whole new rifle...

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had two or three of the AR47 lowers.  Depending on the make, the dimensions are all over the board, and nowhere near mil-spec - in other words, nothing lines up if it is made by Vulcan....

Next, you need to have the upper modified to allow the wider AK mag to enter the upper (top part of the mag enters bottom section of the upper) - part of it needs to be milled away, making the side walls rather thin... precariously so with a milspec upper...

Then, you need to modify the carrier to clear the wider mag as well - cutting hardened steel is always fun, hope you have some carbide mills...

There is not a real need to modify the bolt or install a heavier spring, just be ready to clear lots of duds... I have a 5.45 and some of the firing pin strikes are brutally deep and still they did not touch off, I think it is the ammo...

Then finally:

AK47 and AK74 mags are NOT the same, there is a slight difference in the length of the mags and depending on the type of mag, they will not fit the AR47 mag well (interference in several areas due to the "rocking" to set the mag).  Note than an AK74 will not accept AK47 mags and vice versa, so that should tell you something...

I built one complete AR47 in 5.45 for a customer, don't think I will do that again... lots of work to get it all to fit.  Had to modify the mag catch and then still mill away part of the lower...  I also built one up in 44 AMP just because...

Frankly, they now make pretty decent AR specific magazines for both 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 so I would just get those mags and be done... a lot cheaper than getting a whole new rifle...

Lots of good info, but seeing how I'm behind enemy lines and cannot get new manufacture mags over 10 rounds I'm all SOL. Hence I'm trying to work a 5.45 AR using 5.45 mags instead of trying to shoehorn them into 5,56 30 rounders.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have you tried using standard 'pre-ban' 5.56 30 round magazines with the (old) black follower load to 25 rounds?

I know you can do that, but I'd rather keep my precious 556 mags filled with 556.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top