Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 6:15:08 AM EDT
I was just cleaning my AR when i put a q-tip into the gas key to clean it out. I pulled the q-tip out and then...
No cotton! Since then, I have been scraping up and down into the key, trying to get the cotton out. I  thought about burning it out, but I was unaware how my solvents might combust!

I tried nontheless, and my piece of cotton is still in there! Apperantly the flames cant reach it!

What should I do? A co2 cartidge might be able to push it out, but where could it fit behind the key to blow it back out? BTW I don't have any right now so thats useless.

To make matters worse, I seen a swarm of zombies headed my way, and I'm not sure how long my claymores will hold them off! Help me get it out!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't burn it out! Likey that cotton swab has some polyester in it and will melt into a hard black blob!

Take a piece if fine music wire and with pliers twist a corkscrew like shape into one end and then feed this into the gas key, twisting it as it goes in. You will eventually twist up enough of the swab into the corkscrew to draw it out.

Good luck,

efxguy
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:19:53 AM EDT
[#2]
That happened to me.
get a small drill bit, when you poke it into the cotton, give it a little twist and it will come right out.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:20:34 AM EDT
[#3]
That's the reason why we don't clean our gas tubes and carrier keys...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:21:23 AM EDT
[#4]
They make really long pipe cleaners for this.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:25:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Don't burn it out! Likey that cotton swab has some polyester in it and will melt into a hard black blob!

Take a piece if fine music wire and with pliers twist a corkscrew like shape into one end and then feed this into the gas key, twisting it as it goes in. You will eventually twist up enough of the swab into the corkscrew to draw it out.

Good luck,

efxguy

Ok, didn't have any of that laying around, so i took needle nose pliers and croked-screwed the tip of a safety pin.

IT'S OUT!!!!

Now I'll be able to fend off the zombies for another day!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:28:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They make really long pipe cleaners for this.

It wasn't in the gas tube, but I can only imagine if it was!!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:36:37 AM EDT
[#7]
At the risk of overplaying a very old tune, the gas tube is "self cleaning."  Hot gasses under high pressure keep it from becoming anything more than a little dirty.  The gunk goes into your carrier's key, and you can and should clean that.  Note that a pipe cleaner is still the best tool to clean the key with precisely because it is small enough to go in and built so it won't come apart.

I am kind of glad I won't be there when you fire your first shot after this cleaning.  I'll bet there will be bits of cotton-BURNT COTTON-coming out of that tube for a few rounds.  It should be "interesting."
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

efxguy

That's what I have to do now and then when a big BUG gets up the pitot tube on my airplane... (thin pipe in the airstream that drives the airspeed indicator with air pressure).

Works like a charm.... but M4 madness had it right...  we DON'T clean the gass tube or key.  The pressures running through it are sufficient to keep it clean.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:51:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:55:03 AM EDT
[#10]
That's what SHE said.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
At the risk of overplaying a very old tune, the gas tube is "self cleaning."  Hot gasses under high pressure keep it from becoming anything more than a little dirty.  The gunk goes into your carrier's key, and you can and should clean that.  Note that a pipe cleaner is still the best tool to clean the key with precisely because it is small enough to go in and built so it won't come apart.

I am kind of glad I won't be there when you fire your first shot after this cleaning.  I'll bet there will be bits of cotton-BURNT COTTON-coming out of that tube for a few rounds.  It should be "interesting."

Relax man, I didn't burn it out, I pulled the whole piece out and have some nice experiance in case a freind has this happen. It was in the carrier's key, not the gas tube. Next time, if I am compelled to, I will use a pipecleaner instead.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck,

efxguy

Ok, didn't have any of that laying around, so i took needle nose pliers and croked-screwed the tip of a safety pin.

IT'S OUT!!!!

Now I'll be able to fend off the zombies for another day!

Umm... you're wlecome?

efxguy
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top