Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 1:31:12 PM EDT
Which one to go with and why?  What are the main differences between the two?  The FMJBT is about $175 and the XM193 is about $200.  Price is important, but not that important to me.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#1]
For plinking, go with the cheapest.

Some people (not me) have chrono'd the AE and found it to be slightly slower than the XM, resulting in lower terminal ballistics.

Also, no case sealing at the neck and primer in the AE.... so if you plan long term "SHTF" storage, go with XM.  If you are going to shoot/plink... again, go with the cheapest that you are comfortable with.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:01:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What is the intended purpose of the ammo?

Paper and or Varmit.  But I'm not looking to shoot 1MOA or Sub.  Looking for something good but not too much $, kinda a happy medium.  But my happy medium may be different than yours that is why I was curious about the differences between the two.  If there is no difference then of course I would go with the cheepest.  But the only diiference I can see right now is that the XM193 will last longer if I'm looking to store the ammo for some extended period of time.

Is the XM193 a little more accurate and or reliable than the FMJBT?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have found the AE to be a little more accurate than XM.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Sportsmans Guide has xm for 179.00
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#7]
For varmints, get the xm193!!

It'll put 2" holes clean through a rabbit and turn it inside out if you hit 'em in the shoulder. The AE stuff won't fragment nearly as violently.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:05:21 AM EDT
[#8]
The new production AE uses LC components but a lighter powder charge. You can find AE on the net for around $150/1000. I have yet to chrono this ammo to see how anemic it is but for NEW practice ammo that leaves you with nice shiny LC brass it is the best deal IMHO. The bullets themselves look be to the same contruction as LC too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:15:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The new production AE uses LC components but a lighter powder charge.

Are you saying AE has LC headstamped on the brass?

If so are the primers crimped too?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:27:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Noobie question - How can you tell if the primers are crimped?

My recent Sportsman's Guide Federal American Eagle 55 gr. AE223 is all LC03, NATO, red sealant on all primers.  stamped numbers on box - 3 32H644.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#11]
You will see a circle around the primer indented in the brass and yes that is the crimp.

Quoted:
Noobie question - How can you tell if the primers are crimped?

My recent Sportsman's Guide Federal American Eagle 55 gr. AE223 is all LC03, NATO, red sealant on all primers.  stamped numbers on box - 3 32H644.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The new production AE uses LC components but a lighter powder charge.

Are you saying AE has LC headstamped on the brass?

If so are the primers crimped too?

Yes it is crimped and as far as I can tell it is the same components as XM193 LC EXCEPT for the powder charge. I pulled some rounds a few weeks ago and measured and weighted the componets. I haven't chronoed the new stuff yet but from the powder weight I would say it's still mild like the old AE.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Interesting, M199.

I wonder what made them change.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#14]
My guess would be there is a need for MIL brass and it is being cranked out as much as possible and for that matter bullets too. No time to switch production back and for so they are just using MIL components in everything. Not official but my take on it.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top