Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/22/2006 12:35:57 PM EDT
I just received a 500 Rd. shipment of AE233 from Natchezss and the brass is stamped FC. Perhaps this is why they are offering low prices on AE223.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#1]
All the AE223  that I have shot was in loaded in FC cases. I know they loaded some in LC cases but I quess they went back to Federal cases.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I only have experience with LC. Have you encountered any problems with FC brass? From what I have heard, the LC is better, not sure why that would be though. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:45:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Federal makes AE. No surprise there.

What suprise? federal make the ammo why not a FC headstanp?
The LC is said to be better for reloading due to thicker necks(5.56 specs). On a positive note i read some posts where these two(FC LC) headstampes were chrongraphed and the FC has more velocity hez
I wouldn't/don't feel cheated.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#5]
ain't nothin wrong with factory loaded federal ammo.  its as good as any other US commercially loaded ammo.  

it's when you start reloading FC brass where you *can* have some issues.  i used to reload FC bras for high power, but i started having blown primers (loose pocket) so i switched to WIN brass.  but i'll still shoot FC and buy it if its cheap enough (as opposed to reloading).

Craig
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I have only seen two different stamps on the Federal AE223 I have bought, all since the first of this year.  Almost all, including the 1K I got today from Widener's are FC 223 REM.  I did pick up some loose boxes from Sportsman's Warehouse in January though that were the same, and some that were stamped FC 05.  Anyone know how to decode the lot numbers to see which is newer?

FC 05 lot 3 49 Y524
FC 05 lot 2 49 Y694
FC 223 REM lot 3 49 Y739
FC 223 REM lot 1 47 R428

I could probably come up with more, this is just what I have sitting out.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just received a 500 Rd. shipment of AE233 from Natchezss and the brass is stamped FC. Perhaps this is why they are offering low prices on AE223.

You right....that sucks.  You better ship to me for proper disposal.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#9]
The 500 rounds I purchased from my local gun dealer were in 20 rd large boxes similar to Winchester and the brass is stamped LC. The 500 rounds I purchased from Natchezss arrived in small 20 Rd. boxes the size of XM193 and the brass is stamped FC, big difference in the packaging. Anyway, I will not be reloading the brass so it seems the FC will meet my plinking needs at the range.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The 500 rounds I purchased from my local gun dealer were in 20 rd large boxes similar to Winchester and the brass is stamped LC. The 500 rounds I purchased from Natchezss arrived in small 20 Rd. boxes the size of XM193 and the brass is stamped FC, big difference in the packaging. Anyway, I will not be reloading the brass so it seems the FC will meet my plinking needs at the range.

Then why don't you edit the title so you don't work up a frenzy
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Done hug.gif
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#12]
The stuff I picked up at Sportsman's Wharehouse is

2 47 Y723    FC 223 Rem
2 47 Y724    FC 223 Rem
2 47 Y727    LC 05 (nato cross-circle)

Since Federal (actually ATK makes both American Eagle and had the contract to run the LC plant, this is not to surprising.  I know (some) folks have had minor problems with the FC brass in the past, but I'm thinking that this brass is probably exactly the same and made ont he exact same euipment.

Clarly the ammo was loaded on the same line, and both the Y723 and Y727 have a red sealant arround the primers.

(edited to add another Lot #)
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got 1,000 rnds today from Outdoor Marksman, and it is all "LC".  Well I didn't open all the boxs, but I did check one box in each 500 box.

btw I'm glad the title got changed.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The stuff I picked up at Sportsman's Wharehouse is

2 47 Y723    FC 223 Rem
2 47 Y724    FC 223 Rem
2 47 Y727    LC 05 (nato cross-circle)

Since Federal (actually ATK makes both American Eagle and had the contract to run the LC plant, this is not to surprising.  I know (some) folks have had minor problems with the FC brass in the past, but I'm thinking that this brass is probably exactly the same and made ont he exact same euipment.

Clarly the ammo was loaded on the same line, and both the Y723 and Y727 have a red sealant arround the primers.

(edited to add another Lot #)

LC brass is made in Missouri. Federal brass is made in Minnesota.
They are made on different equipment.
Yes, both types of brass in Federal packaging are loaded on the same line using the same powder.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What suprise? federal make the ammo why not a FC headstanp?
The LC is said to be better for reloading due to thicker necks(5.56 specs).

Nope.  There is no 5.56 spec on the neck thickness.    The LC brass is better because of it's consistency, hardness rating, and equipment it is manufactured on.  It has a history of outstanding quality.

FC, on the otherhand, has the thin webs and thick case walls, which is why it is not preferred to reloaders.  If you dont reload en masse, then it doesnt matter.

On a positive note i read some posts where these two(FC LC) headstampes were chrongraphed and the FC has more velocity

That has not been my results - mine were just the opposite.    FC brass loads were 50fps slower than LC.  But this could vary, lot to lot.

I recived 2 cases from natchez today, both have the FC stamp and a week ago i got 2 cases from midway and they too were FC's

I wouldn't/don't feel cheated.

I wouldnt either, but all things considered, I would rather have LC.  I picked up a bunch at a local retailer.  When I got home, half of it was LC, half was FC.  I think it is just luck of the draw.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#16]
My LC was lot "2 47 Y727" as well.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top