Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/26/2011 8:11:37 AM EDT

I don't want to start a flame war, so here is my question. Is the LT-100 really worth $55 more than the ADM B3?

All i really need is a mount that will lock up tight and not shake loose, something that will always hold zero, and can be ripped off if SHTF and the acog needs to go.

Return to zero isn't a huge concern, I would always re-zero if I removed the optic, so "back on the paper" return to zero is good enough.

I know larue makes great stuff, but in my case this seems like $55 bucks better spent on mags, and any input from someone who has handled both or can link to reputable comparsions?
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I have only used and own the LT 105 for my TA33 and for a single lever mount that thing is solid as a rock. It does, in fact, return to zero and even if that isn't a huge concern for you it is nice (for me, anyway) to be able to take off the optic, shoot with irons a little, then put it back on and you're still able to group and reach out if you want. Sure, re-zeroing isn't the worst thing in the world, but after 5 or 6 times it is a bit of a waste.

Also, LaRue back up their products %100 and in my experience their Customer Service is in a league of their own.

Finally, I understand saving a but of coin is important, but you didn't skimp by buying an ACOG. I'm gonna assume you dropped the better part of a grand (or more) on it, what's another $50 to have it mounted on something you know will probably exceed your needs and be backed up with the "If you ain't happy..." guarantee? That was my biggest reason for spending the money on a LaRue mount because I knew I was buying one of the best optics out there, I wanted the best mount under it.

And if you're worried about $$, LaRue's resale is pretty good too. I've seen a lot of mounts on the EE go for just a few bucks short of retail on LaRue's website. Not sure what ADM's go for.

Good luck. Sorry I wasn't able to discuss both.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I have 5LT mounts along with 2ADM mounts.
They're both very high quality mounts with great customer service.

I have slowly started to go with ADM more lately.  
I enjoy being able to adjust the mount with my hands and not needing a tool if I'm letting a buddy borrow the optic.

Fit and finish on both is fantastic.  

If saving a few bucks is the concern I suggest checking out the EE. it's a great resource. (orange button on the upper righthand side)
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know about the ACOG mounts specifically, but i have been using ADM mounts for my Aimpoints for the past year now.

The clamps and locks are the same for both.

I think they are great mounts, they work well, easy to remove. I like the locking mechanism on the ADM mounts - I have removed my aimpoints dozens of times and reattached without a poa/poi shift
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#4]
first, lets say you can't go wrong with either.
LaRue is a veteran as far as mounts...ADM is a younger company but seems like they did they homework.

I've been using ADM mounts on 2 of my ACOGs for 2+ years without issues. I also have a LaRue mount on another ACOG.
I prefer the ADM locking mechanism...easier to use and adjust.

even without looking at the price I'd take an ADM over a LaRue.
I guess ADM are cheaper because they use 6061-T6 aluminum while LaRue uses 7075-T5...maybe the latter is better/stronger but other famous manufacturers like DD use 6061 alloy for their stuff without problems...so I dont really care.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#5]
The vast majority of my optic mounts are either ARMS or LaRue, so I can't offer any firsthand insight on ADM from my collection. There is an evaluation of LaRue vs ADM mounts in the LaRue industry forum. While it is hosted in that forum it was created by a third party company. Since I'm not a machinist or a mechanical engineer I can't validate the efficacy of the technical info, but it makes for interesting reading: LINK

Hope this helps-good luck with your project
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The vast majority of my optic mounts are either ARMS or LaRue, so I can't offer any firsthand insight on ADM from my collection. There is an evaluation of LaRue vs ADM mounts in the LaRue industry forum. While it is hosted in that forum it was created by a third party company. Since I'm not a machinist or a mechanical engineer I can't validate the efficacy of the technical info, but it makes for interesting reading: LINK

Thanks for pointing that out. It makes some clear points regarding some important differences in craftsmanship and attention to detail. It amazes me how much more certain people are able to detect than myself.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I use the ADM B3 with my TA31F and like it a lot.  It's a rock solid, quality mount IMO.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for pointing that out. It makes some clear points regarding some important differences in craftsmanship and attention to detail. It amazes me how much more certain people are able to detect than myself.

Happy to help

It amazes me how far the technology has come in the past couple of decades. Back when I mounted my first optic on an AR flattops didn't yet exist. Back then the only game in town was an ARMS mount on the fixed carry handle, which placed the optic about about four miles over the bore. Last week I installed a Trijicon TR24 on a Sig556 with a LaRue LT104 mount. The contrast between the new tech and the old is mind blowing.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, the advances in tech the last 15 years or so does blow me away to. Only good thing about the 94 Ban and it's eventual sunset was it  essentially helped sell a shit load of guns and create a humongous interest in the tactical EBR type firearms. I look back at was available for high speed/low drag accessories for firearms back then and what's out there now, and it's amazing.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Either should do the job, but there's a third choice too, Bobro.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:13:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This comparison is out of date in my opinion - ADM made changes to their mounts in the years since that resolve the issues raised.  I'm happy with my ADMs, and with my LaRues too.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:35:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There is also a 4th choice for the PO, and the best of all ACOG mounts... that is the GDI R-COM ACOG mount,  NSN 1240-01-567-4490 . The only ACOG QD mount officially approved and used by the Marines.

http://www.gdiengineering.com/store/products.html

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:07:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This comparison is out of date in my opinion - ADM made changes to their mounts in the years since that resolve the issues raised.  I'm happy with my ADMs, and with my LaRues too.

That "test" is a joke....I could make the same "test" just pushing the ADM as the better.  Not only does it not have merit now, it never had merit.  Nice little marketing tool...the best part was that Mark went about procuring the ADM mount they used to test.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:23:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I have had the opportunity to examine, mount, and use the ADM, Larue, and Bobro. The ADM is a greatly simplified design in comparison to the other two. It does not utilize any form of spring for tension in its mechanism. Rather, it simply applies tension to its cross bolt via its eccentric lever.  Bobro and Larue utilize far more advanced and superior spring tension methods. Additionally, both the Bobro and Larue ensure that the fasteners on the rings are steel / steel contacts. Larue does this with inserts and Bobro with studs and nuts instead of screws. The ADM example I have, which was brand new last month, had no inserts and screwed directly into aluminum. In conclusion, I have found the design of the Larue and Bobro products superior to ADM. How much that difference is worth to you is for you to decide. I would not hesitate to purchase Larue or Bobro but would not be happy with ADM myself.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have had the opportunity to examine, mount, and use the ADM, Larue, and Bobro. The ADM is a greatly simplified design in comparison to the other two. It does not utilize any form of spring for tension in its mechanism. Rather, it simply applies tension to its cross bolt via its eccentric lever.  Bobro and Larue utilize far more advanced and superior spring tension methods. Additionally, both the Bobro and Larue ensure that the fasteners on the rings are steel / steel contacts. Larue does this with inserts and Bobro with studs and nuts instead of screws. The ADM example I have, which was brand new last month, had no inserts and screwed directly into aluminum. In conclusion, I have found the design of the Larue and Bobro products superior to ADM. How much that difference is worth to you is for you to decide. I would not hesitate to purchase Larue or Bobro but would not be happy with ADM myself.

Thanks for that info-I was wondering if the newer ADM mounts were still made the same way. It's interesting that some people take issue with the test, but what about the actual observations noted? The two items that immediately jumped out at me are same things you noted with yours:

-Steel fasteners bolted directly into aluminum
-Retention via cross bolt

Those two items wouldn't bother me if the ADM mount was cheaper than the LaRue, but aren't they about the same price? Why? If the ADM mount lacks the steel inserts to prevent galling/stripping, and has a much simpler retention system, shouldn't it cost quite a bit less to manufacture?

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm almost positive both of my ADM-68s have steel inserts...
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The Penguin's always workin', lol.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#19]
This is not rocket science.  All three are quality mounts, pick one.  In full disclosure I like the LT mounts.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:55:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is also a 4th choice for the PO, and the best of all ACOG mounts... that is the GDI R-COM ACOG mount,  NSN 1240-01-567-4490 .

The only ACOG QD mount officially approved and used by the Marines.

<snip>

Uh ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/mfingar/LT%20Ads/SEMPER-FI-Ad.jpg

I wouldnt waste your time Mark, this thread is gonna go nowhere fast!. OP, a simple search of either ADM or Larue would bring up tons of topics on the same discussion. Why dont you use it instead of trying to start a flame war which you clearly said you didnt want to do. I'm surprised Aimless didnt just lock this thread already.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:22:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is also a 4th choice for the PO, and the best of all ACOG mounts... that is the GDI R-COM ACOG mount,  NSN 1240-01-567-4490 .

<snip>

Uh ...

I wouldnt waste your time Mark, this thread is gonna go nowhere fast!. OP, a simple search of either ADM or Larue would bring up tons of topics on the same discussion. Why dont you use it instead of trying to start a flame war which you clearly said you didnt want to do. I'm surprised Aimless didnt just lock this thread already.

Did you not read the thread tittle.

To the OP, i cannot offer any info on your questions.

But i have a LaRue for my ACOG and at work with use LaRue for our CMVDT and they work fine.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:36:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Well guys I'm going to with the Larue. It sounds like the ADM is a quality peice and not anything I need to avoid, but I think the decieding factor was the secondary market, larue holds its value. I dont plan to ever sell but if i did its nice to know it is worth something, and hey there has to be a reason they hold value so well.

Thanks all who replied, it was very on topic and didn't end in a flame war at all i belive.

thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:57:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

Uh ...

Yes that is a fantastic marketing poster you guys made, congrats!

I especially love the play on words the marketing guys came up with, brilliant!

It even fooled me the first time I read it, made me laugh when I read it again and understood the play on words they used to trick the innocent. :-)

BTW, any NSN #s for ACOG RCO mounts???

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:01:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:21:12 AM EDT
[#26]
I think the question is are the mounts in your ad issued equipment by the U.S.M.C.?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:22:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

It even fooled me the first time I read it, made me laugh when I read it again and understood the play on words they used to trick the innocent. :-)

BTW, any NSN #s for ACOG mounts???

Play on words  Trick the innocent

I am a LaRue fan to start off.

The add you posted simply says the optics are approved by the Marines.  And you have mounts that work with those optics.  It never says that the mounts were also approved by the Marines.  I think that is what hes saying.  Ignore this post if you already understood that.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:32:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:38:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Mark, are the mounts in the ad U.S.M.C. issued equipment for the optics in the ad?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:42:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is also a 4th choice for the PO, and the best of all ACOG mounts... that is the GDI R-COM ACOG mount,  NSN 1240-01-567-4490 . The only ACOG QD mount officially approved and used by the Marines.

http://www.gdiengineering.com/store/products.html

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_WxlrhdDsogw/TXZ-gYhFz7I/AAAAAAAABBk/5INf3wd7-aI/s800/ISH%20Plate%20right%20M4A1.jpg

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_WxlrhdDsogw/TXZ-hQaC7wI/AAAAAAAABBo/PjjIs5WJPdI/s800/ISH%20Plate.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~kellanite/rcom.jpg

So why are these mounts the best?  What makes them better than all the others?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:43:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:44:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mark, are the mounts in the ad U.S.M.C. issued equipment for the optics in the ad?

" Are you talkin' to me ? "

Yes, please answer the question.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

BTW, any NSN #s for ACOG mounts???

Play on words  Trick the innocent

I am a LaRue fan to start off.

The add you posted simply says the optics are approved by the Marines.  And you have mounts that work with those optics.  It never says that the mounts were also approved by the Marines.  I think that is what hes saying.  Ignore this post if you already understood that.

Exactly, and by using that nice poster to reply to my earlier comment shows continuity in "marketing"... again, very nice play on the illusion of Facts :-)

Back to the thread topic.... honestly I do like the simplicity of the ARMS/Larue rotating lever type mounts, AND had/if the Larue mounts incorporated the "rail protectors" like ARMS does..then maybe Larue mounts would be my choice over the ADM mounts.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:13:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Locked for staff review
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Changed my mind - I'll leave it open, but please, please, PLEASE keep this thread on track.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#36]
My issued ACOG does not have a LaRue mount; it just screws on, no throw levers. I have seen one or two with LaRue mounts, but they're few and far between. I think a few of the 31's 240's had LaRue mounts the last time I looked.

ETA: In after the lock, and I'm not sure how any of this "who's issued what" matters for range toys/safe queens.
ETA2: I own several LaRue products and think they're awesome.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:24:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:32:04 AM EDT
[#38]
FWIW, I prefer LaRue... Great product, awesome customer service, great re-sale, etc.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:40:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:43:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:51:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
FWIW, I prefer LaRue... Great product, awesome customer service, great re-sale, etc.

You have used the ADM mount?  

Yep. They are both quality, but the LaRue just feels better to me as far as lever design and finish. I also have a lot more rounds downrange through my LaRue mounts, so I know that they'll stand the test of time. But I do own an ADM currently and have been using it. I'll also say that LaRue's unmatched customer service gives me piece of mind as well.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:58:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Please stick to the topic at hand-Aimless
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:59:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. They are both quality, but the LaRue just feels better to me as far as lever design and finish. I also have a lot more rounds downrange through my LaRue mounts, so I know that they'll stand the test of time. But I do own an ADM currently and have been using it. I'll also say that LaRue's unmatched customer service gives me piece of mind as well.

Thanks  

No problem .
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

that is what I was going to post before this was locked I think the Bobro mounts are also very nice, but they don't make a compact ACOG mount so the choice of LaRue was much easier. I also prefer the LaRue Aimpoint mounts.

Besides that Mark provides some great entertainment sometimes
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:25:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top