Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/10/2012 8:08:10 PM EDT
So I was hoping to get some opinions. I am in the market for a PWS Mk116 or mk114 and I have a guy offering me a ADDAX ATAC upper for a pretty good price.

Specs: 16in DD 1/7 CHF barrel, ADDAX PWS Bulldog Comp, standard charging handle, same gas piston system as PWS.

I like that it's at a very good price, the guy seems pretty good to go, and it has a 1/7 barrel (I shoot 75 and 77gr exclusively).

Everything that I've read points to ADDAX being a good company, but I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were. Should I save the money and get the ADDAX upper or hold out and get the genuine PWS upper?

Also will a DD 1/7 M4 profile barrel be heavier than a standard PWS 16in barrel?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Zog
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#1]
i have the addax ATAC upper and ive put about 2000 rounds through it with no failures what so ever. if the price is good id say get the addax. you really wont be able to tell the difference between the two. the only real difference is the bolt group. besides that the upper recievers are identical in function.
either way you go youll be satisfied.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#2]
You said the bolts are different? How so? Are the ADDAX and PWS bolt carrier groups/ operating rods interchangeable? Would I be able to order one from PWS and just drop it in if I had to? That would be ideal and really put my mind at ease because from what I've heard they really are pretty much identical.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 5:19:37 AM EDT
[#3]
The PWS can use any AR bolt.

The proprietary PWS bolt does not have gas rings (Not required in a piston gun) and has a spring which holds the bolt out for ease in returning the BCG into the gun when reassembling

Since I also have DI ARs it made more sense for me to have back up bolts that would work in all of them and the PWS bolt will not work in a DI AR

Wulfmann
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 6:44:59 AM EDT
[#4]
That's good to know. Do you happen to know if the bolt carrier/ operating rod is interchangeable between the ADDAX and the PWS?
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 7:25:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's good to know. Do you happen to know if the bolt carrier/ operating rod is interchangeable between the ADDAX and the PWS?

I do not know as ADDAX does not show reasonable descriptions of their products, kind of weird really.
They do not break down their uppers on parts nor do they offer replacement parts so there is no way to tell what they use.

You can go the the PWS site and compare the parts.
For all i know ADDAX are just PWS made uppers sold by ADDAX
However, even if that were so they could have made changes that prevented compatibility.
I can not find enough info on ADDAX from their site to get an idea again, very strange IMO

Wulfmann

Link Posted: 7/11/2012 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#6]
In everything that I've read it basically boiled down to PWS products being assembled by ADDAX. The only thing is that ADDAX hasn't done this since Oct of 2010 so it was a pretty short run. Although it seems as if there are some differences as noted by the pictures. Perhaps at one time they were the same, but the PWS seems to be higher quality... I dunno I guess at the end of the day as long as it works that's what counts right? But I'm also of the school of thought: if I'm going to be spending good money it better be the best and look good as well or in other words "Buy Once, Cry Once"

ADDAX

PWS

Link Posted: 7/11/2012 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
In everything that I've read it basically boiled down to PWS products being assembled by ADDAX. The only thing is that ADDAX hasn't done this since Oct of 2010 so it was a pretty short run. Although it seems as if there are some differences as noted by the pictures. Perhaps at one time they were the same, but the PWS seems to be higher quality... I dunno I guess at the end of the day as long as it works that's what counts right? But I'm also of the school of thought: if I'm going to be spending good money it better be the best and look good as well or in other words "Buy Once, Cry Once"
ADDAX

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/addax/IMG_0018-1.jpg
PWS

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/catalog/PWS_MK1xx_BCG_L_2.jpg

Hello,
We would like to provide some clarification on our ATAC long stroke piston uppers utilizing the PWS long stroke piston system.
We built our ATAC line of long stroke piston uppers using the PWS Long Stroke Piston System when PWS first introduced this system until we ended the ATAC product line in the Fall 2010.  
During the time we built the ATAC long stroke piston uppers using the PWS long stroke piston system, we offered a variety of different options such as 6.5, 6.8calibers, Vltor MUR uppers, Cerakote options etc., so basically we were more like a semi custom shop with this piston system.
The first generation long stroke piston system from PWS utilized a standard mil-spec bolt carrier group (as you have pictured).  We later offered a hard chrome bolt carrier, and offered replacement Hard Chrome Piston Bolt Carrier groups as spare / replacement parts on our website until we discontinued the ATAC.
PWS developed their enhanced bolt carrier (which you have pictured) a little later on, and which is in use today on PWS long stroke piston uppers.
PWS offers spare / replacement long stroke piston system parts, and the parts will interchange and work with the ATAC uppers we built since we used PWS Long Stroke Piston Parts.
Thank you,

AT

Link Posted: 7/12/2012 4:36:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Strictly IMO but looking at the photo of the ADDAX it appears to be the same PWS rig but without the newer coating/treatment.

It is, again IMO, dependent on how much the used ADDAX upper will run you when comparing it to a new PWS upper.

Wulfmann
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 4:41:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Guess I should have checked the great post from ADDAX Tactical before offering my rich in ignorance reply

Wulfmann
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 4:06:50 PM EDT
[#10]
ADDAX thanks for that post! I actually ended up passing on the offer and am holding out for a Mk114 to come along or just put one on order. I decided that I want the newer parts and the 14.5in barrel. As I mentioned before, if I'm going to put up the money might as well get exactly what you want right? Buy once, cry once :)
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

ADDAX thanks for that post! I actually ended up passing on the offer and am holding out for a Mk114 to come along or just put one on order. I decided that I want the newer parts and the 14.5in barrel. As I mentioned before, if I'm going to put up the money might as well get exactly what you want right? Buy once, cry once :)

No problem.

It is better to get exactly what you want, especially if you are willing to wait.

Good choice on the MK114.

AT

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top