Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 10:34:50 AM EDT
Guys, I've been eyballing the Designated Marksman M4 upper on the ADCO site for a week or so and was wondering if anyone here has bought one or can give me the full specs. Especially on the barrel. The site says it is a stainless Wilson / White Oak barrel with a 1:8 twist, KG coat black. WOA upper receiver too w/ a DD 9.0 rail.

Questions:
   Is the White Oak upper receiver made by CMT? Is it T marked? How would it compare to fit & finish of RRA, CMT, others?
   Does the barrel have the Wylde chamber? Is it HBAR or contoured?
   Also, would the 1:8 twist work well with the heavier 75 & 77gr. bullets?

I emailed Steve and got some pricing info, but have not been able to get him to call me so I could get the details straight before i ordered. Any personal experiences would be appreciated. I know ADCO has a stellar rep here, so that is not a question, I just want some details on the DMM4 cause it sounds like what I'm looking for. hanks
ETA: I tried a search, but since I'm a newbie & haven't paid for a membership yet, i couldn't find anything
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:15:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, thanks for the quick followup Steve. What is availability like?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#4]
The only thing i was thinking about doing differently was contouring the barrel. Can you post a pic to compare a mid weight to gov't profile? Any significant effect on accuracy when you lighten the barrel? Also, do you prefer that I place the order on the website & pay when it's ready to ship? Thanks again for taking the time to answer a few questions, I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:14:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The only thing i was thinking about doing differently was contouring the barrel. Can you post a pic to compare a mid weight to gov't profile? Any significant effect on accuracy when you lighten the barrel?

Here's a Midweight ADCO cut down for me.  It was reduced to .820" under the handguards and standard .750" from the gas block forward...  It shot lights out!  A Wilson 16" SS 1-8 barrel with Wylde chamber.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#6]
+1,000,000 for the ADCO DMM4. I got mine about a year or so ago and it shoots better than I ever expected. I got the 1/7 twist WOA barrel and it has found itself at home at my local 400yd line with 2 to 3 inch groups on a good day. Soon we will be expanding the range to 600yds, and that will be sweet! and as a side note, any talk about DD rails ever coming loose from use.. forget em if its put together by Steve! There aint no way those rails will come off from use... no way in hell!!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:43:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The only thing i was thinking about doing differently was contouring the barrel. Can you post a pic to compare a mid weight to gov't profile? Any significant effect on accuracy when you lighten the barrel?

Here's a Midweight ADCO cut down for me.  It was reduced to .820" under the handguards and standard .750" from the gas block forward...  It shot lights out!  A Wilson 16" SS 1-8 barrel with Wylde chamber.

img465.imageshack.us/img465/9748/rockrivercar018lg.jpg
img393.imageshack.us/img393/8064/rockrivercar032uc.jpg

That's what I want except in 20" with the end threaded for a FH, 1/7 twist and M4 ramps.

Steve - Does the White Oak Service Rifle barrels come with 1/7 and M4 ramps? If so, do you have any in stock?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Steve - Does the White Oak Service Rifle barrels come with 1/7 and M4 ramps? If so, do you have any in stock?

I'm not Steve, but my WOA SR barrel is 1/7, but no M4 feed ramps.  Never had an alibi though, and that is using mag lenght SMK 77s, so the rifle ramps seem to work.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
+1,000,000 for the ADCO DMM4. I got mine about a year or so ago and it shoots better than I ever expected. I got the 1/7 twist WOA barrel and it has found itself at home at my local 400yd line with 2 to 3 inch groups on a good day. Soon we will be expanding the range to 600yds, and that will be sweet! and as a side note, any talk about DD rails ever coming loose from use.. forget em if its put together by Steve! There aint no way those rails will come off from use... no way in hell!!!

A year ago?  I got mine last May or so and AFAIK Steve was still fiddling around with which products he was going to use to make this "style" of upper.  He had just created a thread to explain his views on the ultimate balance between SS and weight for a good shooter.  

Mine's got an LMT upper and the SS barrel is 0.900" under the handguards and fluted.  It originally came with the DD9.0 but had it changed to the DD12.0FSPM.  It has M4 feedramps and is 1:7.  

I've chopped the DD shorter and Duracoated it:

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

A year ago?  I got mine last May or so and AFAIK Steve was still fiddling around with which products he was going to use to make this "style" of upper.  He had just created a thread to explain his views on the ultimate balance between SS and weight for a good shooter.  

Mine's got an LMT upper and the SS barrel is 0.900" under the handguards and fluted.  It originally came with the DD9.0 but had it changed to the DD12.0FSPM.  It has M4 feedramps and is 1:7.  

I've chopped the DD shorter and Duracoated it:

www.torrenga.com/~jrybicki/ar15/IMG_1051s.jpg

www.torrenga.com/~jrybicki/ar15/IMG_1070s.jpg

www.torrenga.com/~jrybicki/ar15/IMG_1078s.jpg

Fluted? That would be nice. The DMM4 now has a SS HBAR. I inquired about lightening it under the guards & Steve recommended against it & pointed me to the Mini Mod 1 model with a low profile gas block, not real sure why. I'd rather have the FSB for simplicitys sake. The DMM4 with a slightly lighter barrel, 1/7 & M-4 ramps would be an "ultimate" set up for me. BTW, would 0.900" be considered HBAR or something else?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice rifle JosephR, I got mine back in early April. It has that same barrel but without the M4 ramps, never really saw the need IMO. I have to say I love this set up and the WOA barrel seems to get better with age!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#12]
The Hbar is good for SS barrels for keeping them cool and all the fluting does is help even more in keeping the heat down. I do beleive that the mini mod 1 has an SPR contour to the barrel which is slightly lighter than an Hbar, by how much i'm not sure. I have to say with my DMM4 the wieght is not bad at all and the balance is just right.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Good to know Sapper. Thanks for the feedback. Exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Is yours fluted too?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, mine is fluted under the handguard.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#15]
did you request the fluting or was Steve building them that way last year? 1/7 twist or 1/8?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#16]
It is a white oak 1:7 twist barrel. I beleive that steve will flute the barrel for you if you want it that way. As far as 1:8 vs. 1:7, I think that either one is just as good as the other. Steve will work on getting you what you want as soon as you know what you want. I do know that the DMM4s that he has now are top quality.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine was built and in stock.  I had just read his thread about the SS barrels and fluting and it was just before everyone started getting Midlengths custom made in SS like the Giffman...

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I tried some searches before I posted this, no luck. Can you point me to this thread?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Its an archived thread so the only thing you can do is become a team member and search in the archives.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#20]
That's what I figured. I guess it's about that time. BTW, thanks for all the help so far. I appreciate it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top