Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2004 3:34:16 PM EDT
On the 4th floor of the new American Indian Museum in DC there is an exhibit detailing the effects of weapons technology (first swords, then firearms). The final section of the display has a Garand, G3, AKMS, M16A1 (missing ejection port door), and....a Colt ACR!

For those of you who don't know, the Colt ACR was an experiemental rifle for the Army. It had a very Crane-like stock on a 7-pos tube, flattop upper, ambi safety, thicker grip, and forend with different front sight, heavier barrel, compensator, and a sort of instinctive trap-gun like rail atop the handguard.  Unit at the Smithsonian (Indian Museum) sported an ELCAN optic.

Sorry I didn't think to take pictures; I think my wife was carrying the camera anyway.  So for those interested, you can view it to your hearts content, if only the starboard side and at a 6" distance, behind plexiglas...BT
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I know they have that at the Museum of American History, they have it at the Indian Museum too?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw 2, in an Army base, locked away along with the Steyr ACR, Thompsons, G11's, BAR's unfired, M24's, etc.

What a shame.  I would rather see those guns destroyed though use then sitting away untouched.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I saw 2, in an Army base, locked away along with the Steyr ACR, Thompsons, G11's, BAR's unfired, M24's, etc.

What a shame.  I would rather see those guns destroyed though use then sitting away untouched.

Not me, as long as they are intact there is still hope for them...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#4]
FYI, examples of all four ACR prototypes (Colt, H&K, AAI and Steyr) are in the Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning, GA, as part of one HELL of a good military firearms collection.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I know they have that at the Museum of American History, they have it at the Indian Museum too?

Yes, unless it is the same one.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not me, as long as they are intact there is still hope for them...

Yeah, that way if the zombie hordes are ever unleashed, you can go pick up some of those cool guns and use them to beat the undead with style.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#7]
This thread is worthless without pics.

Found one.

Found another.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:40:33 AM EDT
[#8]
what are those?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
what are those?

That, in fact, is a Colt ACR!

If I visit the museum again (I live not far from DC) I'll remember to try to take some detailed photos of the ACR.

BT
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
what are those?

and what the hell where they "Going" to do with them?  Drunk and High assed enventors
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
what are those?

Don't tell me, you only look at the pictures
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
what are those?

Don't tell me, you only look at the pictures

Bob
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top