Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/7/2003 7:45:32 AM EDT
I "heard" that there was a report of an ACOG being broken in the field. What I heard was that a tank ran it over! Im not really one to know if this is true or not, but am interested to hear if any of you have heard this or anything like it. A picture would be awesome, but Im afraid its probably asking too much!
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 7:49:28 AM EDT
I don't believe it. There is no way an ACOG can break. Tank or not.[;D]
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 9:00:50 AM EDT
Trijicon would probably know.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 12:06:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 10:39:03 PM EDT
there's a guy in my unit that came from a Ranger unit (I think it was the 160th SOAR) [the same unit that was involved in the fight in Mogadishu [SIC?]] Of course he was there in the late 1990's not the early part. ANYWAY he claimed that they had been issuing ACOGS and AImpoints interchangeably untill the ACOGs started to break at which point they simply swithed accross the board to Aimpoints and put the ACOG's on their SAW's. (I would never have gotten into the conversation but I was showing him my M4 with a mounted Aimpoint and that started him up). He really liked the Aimpoints (he didn't shoot as well with irons). [b]Luckily for him and probably unlickily for me our unit is getting New M4's this month with Aimpoints I had no trouble qualifying with Irons on my A2 (Expert 4 times in a row and now I'll bet I can't hit shit with a Aimpoint equipped M4) well I'll see[/b]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:20:38 AM EDT
I heard a similar story, Neil, but it was the [b]tank[/b] what got busted.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 11:47:56 AM EDT
No matter how tough a ACOG is ,it is not soldier proof.............in the hands of a soldier, even a anvil is not safe.....
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:43:49 PM EDT
Put a Marine into a round rubber padded room with nothing but a steel ball bearing.... HE WILL find a way to break it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 1:14:17 AM EDT
A LOOOOOONG time ago there were pics of my broken Ta01 circulating around on AK-47.net. Yeah... It was accidentally dropped down a flight of stairs and then recovered. The rifle and scope were a little scratched up, but still functional. We removed the ACOG and went on out to the car, down another 3 flights of stairs, so we wouldn't screw the optics up if we dropped it again. When we got to the car, I sat the ACOG on the top of the car so I could unlock the trunk to put the rifle in... As you probably guessed, my dumba$$ self forgot the ACOG on the top of the car and we drove off. We get to the range, discover the optic is gone, and drive back to the apartment. We get back, and a Chevy Z71 was parked where the ACOG was. We found it crushed pretty bad, sadly enough. A friend called trijicon, and they offered to "remanufacture" it for a small price. The friend traded me an Aimpoint Comp ML for the crushed ACOG, paid something like $300 for the remanufacture, and all was well. Last I heard, Trijicon no longer does that service :-( -Cap'n
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 9:03:14 AM EDT
Cap'n, it sounds to me like that ACOG [i]wanted[/i] to die.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 9:49:04 AM EDT
Well, at least you chose the appropriate screen name 'Capn_Crunch'...
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 12:52:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Capn_Crunch: A LOOOOOONG time ago there were pics of my broken Ta01 circulating around on AK-47.net. Yeah... It was accidentally dropped down a flight of stairs and then recovered. The rifle and scope were a little scratched up, but still functional. We removed the ACOG and went on out to the car, down another 3 flights of stairs, so we wouldn't screw the optics up if we dropped it again. When we got to the car, I sat the ACOG on the top of the car so I could unlock the trunk to put the rifle in... As you probably guessed, my dumba$$ self forgot the ACOG on the top of the car and we drove off. We get to the range, discover the optic is gone, and drive back to the apartment. We get back, and a Chevy Z71 was parked where the ACOG was. We found it crushed pretty bad, sadly enough. A friend called trijicon, and they offered to "remanufacture" it for a small price. The friend traded me an Aimpoint Comp ML for the crushed ACOG, paid something like $300 for the remanufacture, and all was well. Last I heard, Trijicon no longer does that service :-( -Cap'n
View Quote
OUCH!!! for the price of an ACOG I think after retrieving the scope from under the Chevy I would have laid under the tires there myself! [xx(]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 5:22:12 PM EDT
Yeah, hehe... The BEST way to get your friends to make fun of you is to break an unbreakable optic. If you think that's bad though, I've got plenty more stories ;-) -Cap'n
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:48:04 PM EDT
Huh, I thought your name just implied you liked the cereal!
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:33:53 PM EDT
Neil, I won't go into where the name came from... Let's just say I had a VERY unpleasant boating incident, and leave it at that, hehe. -Cap'n
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:40:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/11/2003 9:40:51 AM EDT by El_Roto]
[i] - Quote from "Risky Business" -[/i] "Which one of you is the U-boat captain?" [:D]
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:48:40 PM EDT
I just thought of something: I have seen a lot of pics of ACOGS without the W/E housing caps ON. The Trijicon people claim that the sight is only waterproof with the caps in place maybe the sights fail because of that (or constantly re-zeroing when changeing users could lead to the sights inability to hold a zero)? I think the only thing that looks weak is the two screws holding the mounting base on. I really found the breaking ACOGS hard to believe (I always thought the aimpoint was more suceptable to damage).
Top Top