Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/6/2006 5:19:26 AM EDT
For those with ACOGs, I thought I'd bring up a situation where the ACOG performed miserably.  This may be old news to some (most?) of you, but it was a revelation to me so I thought I'd pass it along.

I have a TA31F.  I love this scope.  But this weekend I decided to use it on our Jack Rabbit/Coyote hunt.  First of all, the ranges were too short, but that was operator error.  My bad choice in selecting a 4x in a short range environment.  The failing that I think is significant however is reticle illumination in a white light environment.  We were using spotlights to illuminate the jacks.  The light overwhelmed the tritium illumination of the reticle, leaving only a thin, black reticle for sighting.  Picking it out among shadows and a sometimes fast moving jack was very difficult.

I tested it in my home with a surefire.  Same thing.  Black reticle only.  Now at the closer distances and a white wall, the reticle was easy to see.  But put it on an intruder with dark clothing and you may have some fatal slowness trying to find a reticle.  Especially if this is the first time you've encountered such an experience.

I like my ACOG.  But now I know that there is a niche in which it is a detriment, not an asset.  In a white light environment, your "illumination" had better be battery, or it just won't be there.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:51:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I do alot of shooting during the day, and I find the reticle on my TA31F to be to bright on sunny days. To resolve this, I put a piece of electrical tape over the fiber-optic tube and pull a little back to adjust the brightness of the reticle.

I wonder if this would work the opposite in your situation by blocking all the light from the spotlight and using the tritium to light the reticle?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:55:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Michael,
The problem is that the tritium is not bright enough to overcome the brightness of the spotlight.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:43:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I do alot of shooting during the day, and I find the reticle on my TA31F to be to bright on sunny days. To resolve this, I put a piece of electrical tape over the fiber-optic tube and pull a little back to adjust the brightness of the reticle.

I wonder if this would work the opposite in your situation by blocking all the light from the spotlight and using the tritium to light the reticle?

Negative...it would be a good thing for the fiber optic to grab some of the light to help brighten the reticle.

Knowing that you were going to be in this particular situation, you could take a small glo-stick (like the ones that go in golf balls) and tape or innertube it to the fiber optic ahead of time.  Of course this is given you know what you are getting in to ahead of time.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top