Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/13/2004 7:43:34 AM EST
Looking at a ACOG TA31A and was wondering what's the preffered reticle people like to use? I was thinking about the triangle.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:12:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 8:29:32 AM EST by RH33]
There is a lot of info on ACOG’s at the top of this forum. Good luck finding any of them right now and if you do get ready to pay some $$$. To answer your question, the TA31 “do-nut” is what most people want, but it will really depend on what type of shooting you’ll be doing.

Edited to add: This is the main post you should read if you haven't yet.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=139306

Ray
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:44:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 3:45:04 PM EST by LastDefender]
If I was going to buy one of these sights I would strongly consider the Chevron.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:46:18 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:35:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 4:35:49 PM EST by LastDefender]
Lumpy,

For my eye, I rather like the chevron. Here is a pic I found on this forum of the triangle:

and here is one of the chevron:

To me the chevron appears to be more percise. Opinions may vary on this subject and I suspect that is why Trijicon makes such varied reticles. Now mind you if you would give me a TA31 with the triangle, I would gladly accept it and thank your profusly

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:40:52 PM EST
I would go with the chevron also, the donut is a little faster when shooting close in. But as the range increases the donut is not as a precise sight. The Chevron is a bit slower, but it is better for distant shots. The triangle may work well for close in but distant shots are harder until you get beyond the 300-400 range.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:01:51 PM EST
Are the reticle sizes advertised in moa?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:41:30 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:52:47 PM EST
I've messed with several different TA31s, and when the
money is right again, I'm grabbing one with the Chevron.

Reasons:
1.)Projects a distinct eye catching reticle with BAC at close distances(more so than the triangle for me).
2.)Provides an excellent medium range reticle 0-500yds.
3.)The donut sucks
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:29:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 7:32:02 PM EST by new-arguy]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:00:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By new-arguy:
Shooting any targets past 300, any of the ACOGs will be as precise as the other because at that point they are all using the "ladder" type reticle beneath the mail reticle. In addition, no reticle will make the scope or gun more accurate, but a more precise reticle will make it easier for you to be more accurate.

Being accurate with the donut is hardly impossible, but it will take more concentration and practice on your part in placing the round reticle on your target. Having said that, what is your accuracy requirements? The difference in accuracy potential, in my opinion, is somewhat insignificant realistically speaking. If you are talking about shooting small groups at paper targets etc, you will have a lot of time to place your reticle and, in turn, your shots where you want them. If you are talking about making accurate shots an target fast, I think you will be hard pressed to see any significant difference between the two. A small difference maybe, but nothng dramatic.

On the other hand, the dontut offers a slightly larger reticle. Because of this more of the reticle is illuminated than the chevron. This larger and brighter reticle is simply faster to see and put on target quickly for most anyone I have seen who has tried both. Unlike improving your accuracy potential with the donut reticle with time and practice, I believe you just cant increase your speed level (past a certain point) with a smaller thinnner, less illuminated reticle like a chevron. Clearly as you practice and get more used to using the scope you can increase your speed with any optic, but I believe as fast as you can get with a chevron, you can always be faster with a donut.

When talking about speed and accuracy, Im not sure the opposite is true. Im not sure that you cant be just as accurate with the donut as you can with a chevron. Especially when talking about groups on paper. When I use the donut to shoot for groups I use many parts of the reticle to line up shots. The donut itself, the hollow center, I line up the ladder on part of the target. At this point I really think that eitehr can be as precise as the other. Again, if talking baout putting accurate shots on target and not necessarily groups on paper, again, I think either can be used to be more accurate than any dot site and that when shooting quickly, the difference will be minimal.

It all just really depends on what you are looking for and what you want most. I continue to believe the donut is the best compromise between all the choices, and the chevron is my second favorite choice. Seriosuly though, it is a real, real close second and I will gladly take either!

100% agreance with NAG

I won the 300m deliberate at our (Canadian) Service Rifle Nationals this year using a TA31 "Donut of Death"

-Kevin

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:47:23 PM EST
For myself, the donut was faster than the cheveron, for both having more lighted area and being "simpler".

I found my eye / mind spending a tiny fraction of sec deciding what part of the cheveron to use for aiming vs. the donut (then again have had an AUG for a dozen plus years so use to the ring). Practice (as in all things) helped bring up the speed with the chevron, however, had to stay practiced to keep the difference in speed reduced.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:50:13 PM EST
For ranges beyond 300m, you have to use BDC ladder, so the choice of reticule is a moot point there.

Since my rifles aren't match-anything, I prefer the speed and chose to go with DoD. (100% agreed woth gentlemen above) DoD is plenty "combat" accurate. The ACOGs aren't really for serious target shooting with minute of accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:58:47 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:11:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:

Originally Posted By MaverickMkii:
The ACOGs aren't really for serious target shooting with minute of accuracy.

EXACTLY. If you want to shoot pretty little groups, get a Leupold.

I wasn't shooting little groups but a pop up course, that didn't have full exposure silhouettes, quite a few had partial exposures, and in those case the donut was too large beyond 150-200 meters. When there was a full body silhouettes, the donut pretty much covered the body and hits weren't hard, but with limited target exposure the TA31F did better than my own 31 on a A4.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:20:42 AM EST
new_arguy already noted the better illumination on the donut. This also gives it a slight edge indoors or in varied lighting as well. None of the ACOGs are as handy as an Aimpoint in those situations; but the donut gives slightly better contrast under those conditions than the chevron.

Haven't got to try the triangle under those conditions; but considering that the triangle appears dimmer than either the donut or the chevron in normal light, I'm guessing it has the same issue. Still, I'd be happy with almost any BAC reticle.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:58:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2004 11:05:20 AM EST by Lumpy196]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:00:03 PM EST
My "wish" is that Trijicon would offer the amber colored recticles (chevron/triangle/donut ) in all models. I have a slight red/green color-blindness issue and the amber recticles really stand out to me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:01:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By new-arguy:
Shooting any targets past 300, any of the ACOGs will be as precise as the other because at that point they are all using the "ladder" type reticle beneath the mail reticle.

excellent point.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:31:52 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:17:54 PM EST
Thought I would follow thru and share;

Acog compact 2x dot = 6.9moa.
2x compact triangle = 9.2 moa.
Per Trijicon customer service email. [ thanks trijicon]
Top Top