Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 9/8/2002 1:49:40 PM EDT
Perhaps this has been previously addressed, however, there seems to be much conflict regarding mounting an arms #40 back-up with an ACOG NSN. It seems that when I mount the arms #40 on the flat top I have to mount the ACOG NSN forward to the point that my head position is a bit awkward. My nose is very close to the charging handle. Is this correct as it seems awkward?
I have seen pictures from A-stan where the operator has the ACOG mounted at the very end of the flattop without a backup sight at all. I tend to think that this is the proper position as my head position is more comfortable, yet obviously, no back-up sight. I am using the conventional knob ACOG mount and have a telescopic stock at 2 positions in from the fully extended position 6. Perhaps I should just remove the #40 and mount in this manner, but I sort of hate being w/o the back-up. Hope an experienced person has the answer…
Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 4:36:17 PM EDT
I've got the 40 behind my ACOG. I shoot with nose to the charging handle with irons or glass. That's the way that has been recommended and is trained in BRM. I've got the ACOG on an ARMS throw lever, with it at the rearmost postition. The occular bell is just over the 40 when it's folded.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 5:04:54 PM EDT
I use the same idea with mine however using the TA51 base not the throw levers
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 8:21:18 PM EDT
I thought about going that route, but I liked the faster levers better.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 4:01:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:47:32 AM EDT
Thank you. But do you mean the ARMS #19a or the ARMS #19ACOG?

http://www.armsmounts.com/list.html#19acog
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 9:53:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 1:46:28 PM EDT
That's the rig I've got. The occular lens is just about even with the rear edge of the charging handle. The rear of the ACOG integral mount is even with the rear of the ARMS 19-ACOG mount, which is almost touching the front edge of the 40.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 2:01:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2002 2:02:15 PM EDT by CANADIAN_TACTICAL]
Wes etc. - with the GG&G MAD I could do that but I found that when I went to the #40 and moved the ACOG forward one rail notch it was just as easy to get a sight picture.

That said I have had to get used to mounting the C79 Elcan way up front too (to use a BUIS) so maybe I am just screwed up from that and accepting the forward sight picture - instead of getting a better one.

Editted for typos
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 9:10:44 PM EDT
There is another solution, though it is a bit more expensive. Get a #38 SWAN Sleeve and mount the TA01NSN on top of it. It sits it a bit higher than if it is directly on the flattop, but it allows you to mount it a bit further to the rear for better eye-relief. Also, you may have noted a prominent shadow effect from the front sight when the ACOG is mounted on the flattop. When it sits a little higher, the shadow is gone but you still get a good cheekweld.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 9:54:46 PM EDT
I use a KAC 600m back-up iron w/ my NSN and it works great.
Top Top