Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2002 6:18:05 AM EDT
Hello all,

I had a demo with several local LE types over the weekend with gj's new mounting system that mounts the Optima 2000 atop the NSN. After talking in-depth with gj and Boland and after trying the proto unit, this is what the general consensus was with the LE boys.

Our first concern was the durability factor of the Optima 2000 in general. In a military environment, indeed this IS a concern; it has to be with only a plastic shroud guarding the optic portion. For LE applications, the concern was jarring into a wall, door jam, a bad guys head, etc.  (No doubt if the weapon was dropped on top of the O2000, it would be lost, except for gj's fine mount and the NSN, these are going to have to take much bigger blows for failure). After several hours of room clearing drills and perimeter engagements, this sighting system became a HUGE hit! The perimeter position officers considered this a "must have" item with lightning quick transitions from NSN to DOT and DOT to NSN. The teams I worked with, MP-5's were the primary entry weapon with M4's as perimeter and backup clearing.  The LE boys all agreed that the trend of M4's replacing the current MP-5's is real, but of course budget constraints will not see this turnover for a very long time.

The other MAJOR concern was the availability issues over the O2000. I had to break the bad news to everyone that these units were no longer in production and no word as to when and if future units would be manufactured. Doc Optics might be an alternative, but the current mounting system will have to be modified a great deal I feel.

The other highlight of this system was gj's mount. I have an old saying that MANY of you are familiar with here and that is "KISS", Keep It Simple Stupid". You know when you have a great mount when NO ONE even recognizes or acknowledges the fact! Gj's mount is simple, VERY durable and you do not even know it's there! It took all of 3 minutes to attach the O2000 and mount to the NSN. Sure someone can spend $200.00 and above to get something milled, but as I stated earlier, the O2000 will crush looong before this mount will in the event of a large impact. The current design is MORE than adequate for LE use. Military usage probably will dictate a milled mount, but the durability issue of the O2000 will be the biggest problem I feel.

Well that is all for now. I want to thank Boland and gj for their efforts thus far and I look forward to the final product from gj and further reviews.

Vic

Link Posted: 8/28/2002 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#1]

here's the tao1 (non- nsn) mount gj made for me.
and a link: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=111048&w=searchPop
enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 1:59:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I would still appreciate anyone  (pbr, victor, etc) giving me some info on how to contact gj or anyone else to get a mount for my TA01NSN and Optima.  Thanks.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I, too, would like that info...

thx,
psywar
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Gary seems to have gone MIA.

IF you look at the pic of the RAS II posted by Dave Lutz (KAC's MIL guy) KAC seems to have there model show cased.

I have emailed him to see if KAC is going to release this.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Hi everyone! Boland I almost forgot your old name I like the new mount you made ink, wanna make one and sell it to me?  I still have the Optima.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Duffy,
you cold not pay me enough to glob epoxy on my acog again.  I pulled it off once but it wasn't much fun.  I'll give all the advice I can if you decide to try it your self.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#7]
[>Q]
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 1:17:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Not to distract from the subject but, what brand of FS is that on the muzzle? Looks like a 3-prong unit for a suppressor - which one?

This is the B&T SOPS QD flsh hider

and this is the B&T SOPS QD can

Canadian_tactical,
BTW,I did not know your army got the B&T cans , is it so ?
Are you satisfied abt these cans ?

Thanks,ciao

PP out
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 1:26:44 AM EDT
[#9]
IOR Options for 30mm...

and...

Link Posted: 9/10/2002 6:15:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Canadian_tactical,
BTW,I did not know your army got the B&T cans , is it so ?
Are you satisfied abt these cans ?

Thanks,ciao

PP out

PP no they were for my on the side company - it does LE/MIL Eqpt and Trg (I am one of the 2 owners - and we have 5 guys that work with us- not exactly a day job though- no money in it.)
The B&T's failed miserably.
Our Company has since gone to the BR-Tuote and Z-Jet stuff from Finland.  Which are suited to MIL usage - a buddy placed one on a C9 and let go - generated some some interest.

I would urge everyone to stay away from the B&T cans - I gave a deatiled failure account of them in another thread - basically I would not trust their SOPS can for .22LR

Link Posted: 9/10/2002 7:35:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Kevin, always glad to hear good feedback on local products. If i dont recall wrong, i mentioned the products to you some time ago.

Link Posted: 9/10/2002 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Kevin, always glad to hear good feedback on local products. If i dont recall wrong, i mentioned the products to you some time ago.

Tuukka - yes you did - oddly enough our suppressor guy (big into theory and research) was the guy who pushed us in that direction.  As Cans out of the US are basically impossible to get.  BR has been very receptive - and we have gotten their cans for demo/trial on the C7, C8, C9 as well as for .338LM and .50BMG - as well .308 cans and others for LE.  I spend most of my spare (non-army) time trying to figure out wound ballistics so it (suppressors) is not really my field.

Link Posted: 9/10/2002 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Along the years working at the weapons dealership i have gotten to know both the BR Tuote persons and more recently Mr. Hirvonen from Ase Utra. In fact i was demoing AU Jet-Z suppressors for a week at a national shooting championship event here earlier in the summer.

I have one of the QD Jet-Z suppressors on my M4 carbine, excellent and robust design with a great dB reduction level.

I believe you will be very pleased with both lines of suppressors, the new DUAL Jet-Z seems to be the best so far.
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
IOR Options for 30mm...

www.ketmer.com/vn/ior/05/paring.jpg

Cincinnatus, are you implying I simply just buy an IOR 30mm ring and then use it to mount the red dot optic on the ACOG ?

=psywar
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 11:11:05 PM EDT
[#15]

The B&T's failed miserably.
I would urge everyone to stay away from the B&T cans - I gave a deatiled failure account of them in another thread  

C_T

I'm curious to read yr report , but I do not find any thread abt this matter , can you light me up please ?

Thanx,

PP out
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 4:47:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IOR Options for 30mm...

www.ketmer.com/vn/ior/05/paring.jpg

Cincinnatus, are you implying I simply just buy an IOR 30mm ring and then use it to mount the red dot optic on the ACOG ?

=psywar

Not at all.  I was answering another inquiry.
I personally find these "towering, wedding cakes of do-dads" to be a bit excessive.
The ACOG is enough.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Now are they still keeping backup irons on these rifles they are fitting these stacked sights too? Or are they figuring that with two sights one has to work all the time?
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Now are they still keeping backup irons on these rifles they are fitting these stacked sights too? Or are they figuring that with two sights one has to work all the time?

If you look at my weapon platforms here on this site, I have ALWAYS gone for triple redundancy with the good old iron sights as the last line of defense.  

Vic
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Victor I have seen your pictures and read your posts regarding the Mil Spec version of the Docter optics reflex.  I have a standard docter but am very interested in the water proof version.  Where did you get it?  I have looked at arizonagunrunners.com and at pmcammo.com. Neither seem to carry the Mil spec version.  Your help in finding one would be greatly appreciated

Kris
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top