Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/14/2008 9:55:26 AM EDT
I have tried everything.  I finally SOAKED the foam in rubbing alcohol and got it on, but it now appears to be about an inch too long.

Is there a trick to this?  Do I cut the foam now to the right length, or do I try to wiggle the rest of it on the tube?
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 11:52:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I used dish soap.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#2]
WD40 the piss out of the tube, then worm it down. Taking it off in one piece is even harder. Been there done that.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Yup ... just a little bit of soap worked for me.

If you used some brute force to get it on there then the foam may have stretched. That would make it look like it's a tad too long.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I just put a little CLP on the tube.  It wasn't easy but I got it on.
If it looks too long it's just because you've stretched it.  Keep working it on until the excess is taken up.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I used an air compressor to push air between the cover and the tube.  Took one sec.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Someone in a previous thread said to use hairspray. It will dry not leave an oily residue.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I used an air compressor to push air between the cover and the tube.  Took one sec.

oooh thanks for the tip, I have 2 pistols and 2 foam tubes sitting waiting to be installed
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This.

The best and only recommended way.

efxguy
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
efxguy

And if you don't have an air compressor you can use a water-based lube  When it dries it will get sticky and the foam won't move.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Someone in a previous thread said to use hairspray. It will dry not leave an oily residue.

That was me.

Worked on the M1 sales, Spikes and Ace Pistol buffer tubes
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I used TriLube.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Oh, haha!  Yeah right.  I tried that (I remembered reading that too).  It gummed the foam up, freezing it in place, AND it made the foam start disintegrating.  My hands turned black and got sticky when I got some on my hands while trying to force the thing on.

I finally got it on the rest of the way by SOAKING it in alcohol - dripping.  It got the sticky-ass hairspray off too, thankfully.  I twisted and twisted back and forth and wiggled it all on there.  What a pain!
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, haha!  Yeah right.  I tried that (I remembered reading that too).  It gummed the foam up, freezing it in place, AND it made the foam start disintegrating.  My hands turned black and got sticky when I got some on my hands while trying to force the thing on.

I finally got it on the rest of the way by SOAKING it in alcohol - dripping.  It got the sticky-ass hairspray off too, thankfully.  I twisted and twisted back and forth and wiggled it all on there.  What a pain!

Just try KY next time...
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just try KY next time...

Anal ease may work better than KY...
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:50:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:57:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Thats how I did bike grips when I was a kid.

Wish I would have asked. Damn thing was tighter than John Holmes puttin on a rubber.

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 5:00:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Got mine on with CLP

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 5:26:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
efxguy

And if you don't have an air compressor you can use a water-based lube  When it dries it will get sticky and the foam won't move.

Can you later remove the grip intact after the lube dries? I know that the hairspray method makes it pretty impossible to remove the foam later...

efxguy
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 12:33:24 AM EDT
[#19]
WD-40. Sound crazy I know but this is the meathod I used for my bike grips as a kid. I used to use hairspray but it did'nt hold that well. Then I heard using WD-40 and thought no way. Well it takes longer to set and dry but man its on there after that. Only way to get them off is to cut them off. Don't use WD-40 though if your gonna be messing with it while it dries or don't wanna wait the few days for it to dry.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 6:58:17 PM EDT
[#20]
How does the air compressor method work?  Do you need one of those air blow gun nozzles like this?  I have one and a decent-sized compressor.  Do you cram part of it on as far as you can first, then blow air under it, or do you blow air the entire time, or what?

I tore the foam trying to wiggle more of it on there.  I thought, "I could just turn the end of this inside out and wiggle the rest of it on the extension, then turn it right-side-out again."  It worked the first time.  Yay!  Then, I got greedy and decided to get the foam perfectly flush with the end.  Turning it inside-out... rip!  

So, another foam tube is on order right now.  I want to do it right this time.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Bump - no one want to share the details of the air compressor method?
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:56:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thats the way I do it. Just start the foam on the tube as far as you can, stick the air nozzle in the end of the foam, then squeeze the foam around the air nozzle. blow the air in it and push the foam down the tube at the same time.

Excellent.  That's what I was thinking everyone meant, but I didn't want to screw this new foam up too.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Air compressor method myself... also put black (electricion's) tape over threads. Tried CLP a couple of times as well. Messy but worked.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I wet my hands with water, put one drop of cheap dish soap in my hands, rubbed it in without lathering up, and wiped this on the end of the tube. My ace pad slipped right on after that.

jonblack
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Breakfree or wd40 work fine
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#27]
It is difficult.  What I did turned out pretty nice.  Take that extra length and roll it over the end and you have a little pad.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Pinch the end of the foam and roll it up so air can't escape.  Then slide it onto the tube unrolling the end as necessary.  Worked for me.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top