Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2004 11:10:59 AM EDT
Does the rubber buttplate have to be installed or can it be left off?  What does the exposed metal butt look like?  I was kicking around the idea of using one without the rubber pad and fashioning a thin steel plate with skateboard tape or similar material.

Can a sling swivel hole be drilled/tapped in the upper-rear corner of the stock in a similar location to a traditional colapasible stock?  Would it be strong enough for field use?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:44:02 AM EDT
[#1]
anyone?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#2]
MEH92,

I did exactly what you are describing with the sling swivel.  I drilled a hole slightly lower than the centerline of the buffer tube (just below the transition of the flat side into the curve of the top), tapped it and screwed the swivel post in.  No problem.  CAUTION - REMOVE THE BUFFER TUBE BEFORE YOU DO THIS!!! Don't ask me how I know this - ARGH!!!  

The thing that I didn't like was I had to make custom shims to go under the post in order to make sure it was in the correct orientation once it was tightened down.

I really can't comment on how well it will hold up during operations but, considering all of the other swivel holes are made this way I wouldn't expect any problems.

Sorry I can't send pics; my digital camera is out being repaired (damn software gremlins!).

EDIT - You can leave the rubber pad off; you just have to use the countersunk screw that is included instead of the regular screw to hold it to the buffer tube.  The area under the rubber plate is anodized just like the rest of the part with grooves cut into the surface; I assume for grip.  Shouldn't be difficult to make your own plate or even just cover the surface with skateboard tape.

M590 Man

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#3]
MEH92 -- Hey, you're aware that the newer ARFX stocks already have the top-rear drilled to accept swivel studs? I have an older one that doesn't have this, but the newer one does.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#4]
MEH92 -

Send me your email address; I got my camera back today and took some pics of the mod on my ARFX.  

Sorry, don't know how to post them here.

M590 Man
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#5]
2Manchu,

I wasn't aware of this.  Their website still seems to show the older one without the rear upper hole.  That would be better than modifying an older one.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:31:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
2Manchu,

I wasn't aware of this.  Their website still seems to show the older one without the rear upper hole.  That would be better than modifying an older one.

I bought the newer one directly from Olympic Arms (I'm local so it made sense) for like $70. But yeah, I was pleasantly surprised to see this improvement.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:05:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm confused.....

Are we talking about mounting the swivel directly on top, at the rear, along the centerline or did you mean on the upper portion of the flat side?  Mine has the hole directly on top but not one on the side.

M590 Man
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I mean on the side, not the top-centerline.  I suppose either would serve the same purpose, though.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top