Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/4/2009 1:21:23 PM EST
Today ain't my day. While slapping my lower parts together, my bolt catch is bent ever so slightly so it won't fit into the receiver (second time I've encountered one of these). Then the windage drum pin provided was too big (same size as the bolt catch roll pin!). Then I scratched up my upper with the vise grips installing the forward assist.

Whenever I scratch my new guns, I try to see the good in it... I won't be babying the thing now! If I keep it up it'll look like the gun in Morg's avatar.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:38:11 PM EST
It happens that way. If you have an extra trigger guard you can use the little roll pin that holds the front detent in for the windage drum. It's the same size.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:38:21 PM EST
Vice grips? Say it ain't so...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:53:55 PM EST
Well I can't fix the scratch, but email me if you still need a pin for the windage wheel; I have a whole drawer full.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:06:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 4:07:37 PM EST by m1sniper]
Did you use electric tape to wrap the jaws on the vise grips??? I do and it works great.ETA Actually I use channel locks,not vise grips,,works better.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:08:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 4:09:39 PM EST by RRattlehead84]
Originally Posted By CAC01:
Vice grips? Say it ain't so...

Yeah, I've had good luck in the past with the vice grips channel locks (thats what I meant, thanks M1) all taped up... should have used more tape this time. It really isn't that bad, it is just a couple little scuffs under the forward assist.

Originally Posted By Heatnbeat:
Well I can't fix the scratch, but email me if you still need a pin for the windage wheel; I have a whole drawer full.

Thank you, thats awful kind of you sir, but I'm gonna have Bushmaster fix the problem (already emailed them)

On a side note, I contacted MidwayUSA about the bolt catch, they apologized and sent me a shipping notification within 1 hour. Those guys rock big time.

Anyone know of a good touch up paint? I was going to get some gray spray paint and dab it on the scuffs.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:19:39 PM EST
I have used craft paint before.
I mixed Gunmetal gray and black until I got the correct color.
It was so close I ended up grabbing another rifle out of the safe to touch up.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:37:51 PM EST
Try a cold blue pen.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:00:48 PM EST
Tape up the receiver and that won't happen. Blue painters tape is the best, but I used electrical tape this time, for the 604 build. Everyone has trouble with the front detent, but I thought I pretty much had it down...until this try. I launched 3 detents which I have yet to find, and one spring, which I found in my work boot. I became exceedingly frustrated, but finally tried something - I cut about three rounds off the spring so the detent would sit just inside the hole - that was all it took. I checked the height of the detent after I did this, and it seemed like it still had plenty of spring tension, so I went for it. It works perfectly. I spent about 45 minutes on that one damn thing, and the 3 detents are just the ones I didn't find - I bet I launched the damn thing 20 times!

RLR350 was nice enough to send me one of his kits with Delrin plate and 1/4" clevis pin drilled on the end to hold roll pins. I used that to start the bolt catch roll pin, and it worked slick as snot on a wet bridge, but the roll pin was a little out of spec or the hole was, so it took a little light reaming before I could get it started. I'm guessing it was the thick anodizing. (I cannot complain about a good thing.!) Thanks RLR350! I owe you. The block was a pleasure to use - I set it on a small section of oak flooring, on my desk, and the trigger guard pin was a piece of cake.
Top Top