Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2013 9:29:26 AM EDT
I purchased this upper and it took awhile to get fully built out.  Fitted it to a Spike Lower.  Pinned the Vortex 1.5" flash suppressor on myself.  It all came out real well until the first two trips to the range.  I had it short cycling.  Next trip took a few carbine buffer springs and tried them along with removing one and a half loops to try and help it out.  At that point I noticed the casings had symmetrical rings and I emailed AA.  They talked it over with me and immediately provided an RMA and shipping label.  They had it a week.  They polished the chamber and provided me a new BCG.  Well it has now  had 200 flawless rounds, a little bit of bolt cam pin wear on the upper but it has settled down.  Very nice shooter.  Going to keep it.  Thanks AA for your great customer service.  

Tom
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 11:19:42 AM EDT
Pictures?
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:12:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2013 11:16:27 AM EDT by tharsh]
sorry it took so long, here it is.  cant figure out how to paste the picture so this is a link,  put it in your browser

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/YcFUOCUTU6aJAz8_W8vXB05gHB89QFQ6X4JWoYQkoPg?feat=directlink[/img]
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 5:17:20 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tharsh:
sorry it took so long, here it is.  cant figure out how to paste the picture so this is a link,  put it in your browser

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/YcFUOCUTU6aJAz8_W8vXB05gHB89QFQ6X4JWoYQkoPg?feat=directlink[/url]
View Quote

Assist.

So, as an aside, what turned out to be the problem with the original upper? Did they give you a diagnosis of the problem?
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 6:48:28 AM EDT
other than stating new BCG and polishing the chamber that is all I was told.  It still wont run with crap ammo, but with Lake City 855 it hasn't had a hiccup.  I am going to keep shooting it and let it wear in a little.  Try Wolf and White box Winchester 55gr

One thing I have noticed.  And I need this forums expertise to relieve or substantiate my neurosis.  When I put a BUIS on the gas block the sights align just a tad to the left, when the BUIS is on the forearm rail it moves the alignement a little to the right.  Given the tolerances of the gas port how would I check to see the alignment of the port and the gas block?

thanks
T
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 5:43:39 AM EDT
I think you just diagnosed why it won't run flawless on all ammo all the time.  Something is canted and your rod is binding-or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 4:49:52 PM EDT
Not to side track, but are your iron sights on backwards or am I crazy?
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:01:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LS6TT:
Not to side track, but are your iron sights on backwards or am I crazy?
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:50:11 PM EDT
Well, the rear sight is the peep.  and the front site cant sit on the gas block or burn up, so I turned it around to lay over the gas block and not get to much heat.  They both fold flat pushing forward which i like and can do while firing.  The front site has a cleaner look with the shrouds tapered towards me.  So yeah I could turn it around bit don't like the flat unfinished appearance when I look at it that way.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:29:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By tharsh:
Well, the rear sight is the peep.  and the front site cant sit on the gas block or burn up, so I turned it around to lay over the gas block and not get to much heat.  They both fold flat pushing forward which i like and can do while firing.  The front site has a cleaner look with the shrouds tapered towards me.  So yeah I could turn it around bit don't like the flat unfinished appearance when I look at it that way.
View Quote

Why would the front sight burn up?  I'm running an AA carbine with a magpul front mounted to the gas block and haven't had any issues todate.

Maybe I'm loopy but I would thing the angles of the sights are set up to run one direction, I guess adjusting them to compensate would work.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 8:43:30 AM EDT
Magpuls literature states to not mount on railed gas blocks.  Yeah from what I have read it takes a pretty serious rate of fire, so it may get moved back.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:54:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/9/2013 12:57:13 PM EDT by AdamsArms]
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:51:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AdamsArms:
We don't recommend using the polymer sights on our gas blocks either. There is a large debate in which we would rather a customer mount the sights like the customer above to prevent anything from happening.
View Quote

Well thats depressing. I'm running an AA carbine basic upper with magpul moestock. My sites are close enough as is.

Do you make an A2 front sight piston block?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:38:45 PM EDT
That would be sweet
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:37:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:13:11 PM EDT

Are you having issue with your sight currently?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LS6TT:
We don't recommend using the polymer sights on our gas blocks either. There is a large debate in which we would rather a customer mount the sights like the customer above to prevent anything from happening.

Well thats depressing. I'm running an AA carbine basic upper with magpul moestock. My sites are close enough as is.

Do you make an A2 front sight piston block?

Are you having issue with your sight currently?

No, the block doesn't even get very hot. But if you say not to mount my magpul to the block and its already a short sight window as is, I'd rather have an A2 front sight block.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:05:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:51:35 AM EDT
I tend to think that on a carbine losing an inch of sight distance isn't that important.  I co-witness with the red dot on anything over 75 yards due to an astigmatism.  But at 100 yards the way it is set up I am in the nine ring all day with the ALG ACT trigger which has a good break but is still stout, not a target trigger but that is not what I built this time.....The more I shoot this one the more I like it..  The first three rounds off hand at 50 with a laser bore sighted red dot were about 6 inches low but all touched.  
T
Top Top