Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 9/22/2003 11:28:09 AM EST
Saw a M4 upper on ebay .The ad says it is a A4 upper with keyhole forging mark,not a A3 so no feed ramps.What is the difference of A3 to A4 upper? And what is a keyhole mark for.Thanks

Link Posted: 9/22/2003 1:00:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/22/2003 1:39:15 PM EST by shamayim]
The keyhole mark is the manufacturing ID of the forge that turned out the raw blank. Doesn't mean a damn thing, since all the aftermarket makers are currently using blanks turned out by this forge. Keep meaning to write down the forge name when it gets posted, but keep forgetting to [;D] My impression is that A3,A4 are differences in terminology between the military and civilian market designations, but if I'm incorrect, I'm sure someone else will chime in. My advise, for what it's worth, is; if you want to buy an upper, look at the EE section of this website. You'll see nothing on ebay that you can't find here, and you have an infinitely better shot at dealing with an honest person on this site. (edited to add) Just spotted the forge name on another post. It's Cerro Forging.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 1:59:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/22/2003 2:08:39 PM EST by d_jones]
The M16A3 model is like the M16A2. The only difference is that the M16A3 is equipped with semi/auto settings on the selector, while the M16A2 has semi/3 round burst settings. The military M16A4 is like the M16A2, but is equipped with the flat topped upper receiver incorporating the Picatinny Rail. Commercial rifle makers adopted the A3 designation for their flattops without knowledge of the military plans.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 2:02:24 PM EST
ALSO - Armalite uses the A4 to designate it's rifles and uppers that have a detachable FRONT sight.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 2:06:55 PM EST
Yes, they do. They (Armalite) are one of the vendors that use the the "A4" designation in a way that makes sense (for their flat top rifles).
Top Top