Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/17/2004 6:45:37 AM EST
I am shopping around for a M4 type carbine. However, I can’t get over the fact that most of the flattops come paired with a fixed front site. Common sense tells me that a fixed front site would interfere with optics. However, from looking around at pics on this site, I see that some install fold-down fronts, but most are in fact using the fixed site with optics. What are your thoughts and experiences with a fixed front site on a flat top?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:03:00 AM EST
+1 I have been thinking the same thing for a while, I am wanting to buy a new Bushy M4, but I don't know if the sight will get in the way when i mount an ACOG>
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:56:43 PM EST
btt
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:59:58 PM EST
I just don't know why they have to have that fixed front sight.

Probably because it costs them more to do a flip down.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:08:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 5:08:58 PM EST by Hoplophile]
This is one of those questions that gets asked all the time.

- If you use a zero-magnification dot sight such as an Aimpoint or Eotech, you shoot with both eyes open so the front sight isn't an issue.
- If you use a magnified scope at anything more than about 4x then the front sight is effectively invisible. You might have a little 'shadow' of the extremely out of focus sight in the lower portion of the scope but it usually isn't very noticable.
- Flip-up front sights and detachable front sights are more expensive than a normal sight, more fragile than a fixed front sight, and will always be in the wrong place when you need them.

If you are setting up a dedicated target or varmint rifle like this one then there's no need for a sight:

But if you are setting up a rifle for 3-gun type action shooting competitions or are setting up a rifle that has even an outside chance of being used for any kind of 'social' uses (police, military, self defense, or whatever) then you're better off with a fixed front sight that will always be there when you need it. Last spring I was in a 3-gun competition and when I got to the carbine portion I grabbed my carbine off the table and moved to engage the first set of targts and realized that the Aimpoint wasn't turned on. If I hadn't had a front sight in place it would have done a lot of damage to my score.
Top Top