Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2009 8:30:48 AM EST
Hello All,

New to ARs and just bought a Double Star M4. The model I have has the A2 style handguard. I understand that a railed handguard allows one to add accessories , but do they get just as warm? After firing a hundred rounds or so, the handguard I have gets pretty warm. It would seem the railed style would 'breath' a bit. Is this the case? Other than being able to add accessories, is there any other advantages in doing a railed handguard? I'm looking at getting the YHM 2 piece tactical set.

Thank you all for your input.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:58:21 AM EST
Originally Posted By dapakattack:
Hello All,

New to ARs and just bought a Double Star M4. The model I have has the A2 style handguard. I understand that a railed handguard allows one to add accessories , but do they get just as warm? After firing a hundred rounds or so, the handguard I have gets pretty warm. It would seem the railed style would 'breath' a bit. Is this the case? Other than being able to add accessories, is there any other advantages in doing a railed handguard? I'm looking at getting the YHM 2 piece tactical set.

I added a MI rail to mine for the purpose of adding a vertical grip, flashlight and side sling mount. If you plan on adding a vertical grip, you don't really have to worry about the warming of the handguards. And yes, railed guards "breathe" more then the standard type.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:56:34 PM EST
Hello All,

If you go cheap might try MI 2pc Rail
If price is the same get 2pc MI FFrail
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:59:46 AM EST
Originally Posted By FMJ:
Hello All,

If you go cheap might try MI 2pc Rail
If price is the same get 2pc MI FFrail

+1 I went cheap with the MI 2pc non-FF rail and am very happy with it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:10:44 AM EST
I put a 2piece YHM on a friends carbine last week and I was suprised at the fit and finish. Pretty tight fit. I felt it was wortht he $114 from BravoCO. Ever consider stepping up to a free float? Worth the extra cash IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:22:13 AM EST
I used to have a MI 2 piece non-ff rail on mine. It was rock solid. I was actually really amazed. I thought it would have some play but it did not.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:56:06 AM EST
I use the YHM 2 pc for the sole purpose of being a heat sink and ventilating the barrel, along with the fact that the aluminum won't melt under the hand guard cap and warp as my cav arms plastic did during a 180 rnd ammo dump. The YHM 2 pc is rock solid after a few years and many rnds fired.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:18:47 AM EST
it will get "hot" irregardless

not really...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:19:04 AM EST
I have a YHM 2 piece on my CAR and with Surefire ladders + TD stubby VFG
can't be more pleased. It's absolutely rock solid and looks tacticool too
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:18:11 PM EST
I looked them all over and just ordered a Double Star 2-piece. Only 7.2 oz., one of the very lightest and narrow @ 1.96".
Anybody have this model?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:33:52 PM EST
I would encourage anyone who is going to the trouble to put a rail on a rifle to put a free float rail on. If you are really using your sling the way you should be, free floating the barrel will improve you accuracty by not stressing it with a really snug sling.

I've had great luck with DD Omega rails which are as easy to install as plastic A2 handguards. For less $$ I've also had good luck with YHM rails but some have had out of spec rails with theirs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:53:05 PM EST
Originally Posted By WYcoyote:
I looked them all over and just ordered a Double Star 2-piece. Only 7.2 oz., one of the very lightest and narrow @ 1.96".
Anybody have this model?

Where did you order these from? Are they the "free float" type that many are recommending?

Thanks everyone for your input. It is much appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:09:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By WYcoyote:
Anybody have this model?

Where did you order these from? Are they the "free float" type that many are recommending?

Thanks everyone for your input. It is much appreciated.

Midway $124.99 + shipping. It is not a FF.
I was hoping that if it mounted solid enough it'll be OK for the MBUS, light, and possibly a laser.
I don"t think pinpoint accuracy is needed on my gun, none of the sighting systems I have are long range tack driver capable anyway.
Top Top