Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/16/2005 5:36:09 PM EDT
I bought a flattop RRA planning on adding a scope or red-dot. I quickly became a better shot with open sights than I ever thought I could be. Now I am regretting my flattop/BUIS purchase.

A good carrying handle is 115$ and a A2 upper is 155+barrel wrench. Right now I am leaning towards the upper. It would give me a good reason to build another rifle in the future. The flattop would be good for a 20'' build I think.

I would trust the A2 upper more since it could not come loose. Or I could buy a 16'' midlength A2...damn the choices.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:39:11 PM EDT
Wrong, you can get a quality carry handle at brownells for about $80. DPMS brand- I have handled one and it looked very high quality.

You can get all the advantage of a carry handle while still having the advantage of a flattop if you ever change your mind or want to scope the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:41:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:47:15 PM EDT
I already have a flip up YHM sight. Which is great if I planned to add optics now. I will probably get a whole upper. I have been itching for a 20'' A2 anyways. I'd like to have a A2 rifle for my KISS rifle anyways. Damn BRD. I want 2 of every configuration.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:39:49 PM EDT
That's the problem. You'll get an extra upper and then want a new lower to go with it. That's happened to me three times so far. Keep the flattop. I found a carry handle on gunbroker for $50 that was a takeoff from a destroyed m4.(or so the story goes) Don't get rid of the upper, you'll regret it. Now is the happy time, when we can get what we want and need. Well, if you live in the right state, that is.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:42:23 PM EDT
I like the way it is on troys rifle.I love fixed A2s but if I were to go flat top I like the cutdown carry handle sight way stronger than a flip up and you can still utilize the rail.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:05:31 PM EDT
I didn't plan on getting rid of the lower. Just trying to decide if I want to invest in a new A2 upper and the tools to swap them around.

I do plan on doing something with the flattop. Just not sure what yet. More I play with my buddies A2 the more I want one. I want to get an aimpoint for the flattop but that will take awhile. Plus I have astigmatism so red-dots don't work that well for me.
Top Top