Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/5/2005 12:04:55 PM EDT
I would like to put an A2 stock on a M4 (just because I do not like the collapsible stock).  What would be the spring and buffer set-up that would work best?  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I would like to put an A2 stock on a M4 (just because I do not like the collapsible stock).  What would be the spring and buffer set-up that would work best?  Thanks for the help.

Got to use a standard rifle buffer and spring.

We've seen problems mounting a CAR stock on a standard rifle configuration.

Veronica at M and A Parts
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got to use a standard rifle buffer and spring.

We've seen problems mounting a CAR stock on a standard rifle configuration.

Really?

I haven't had a single problem with this.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Use this as seen in the pic -

If you want more weight, you can replace the guts in the buffer with a brass dowel machined to fit inside the buffer, this will bring it to approx 7.0oz (this is what mine weighs).. I use it with a 7.5", 11.5", and 8.5" 9mm with suppressor, works fine.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#4]
IMHO you should give some serious consideration to the RRA or BM shorty fixed stock w/ a Knights or DPMS 1" spacer. I had this set up on one of my carbines during the ban and it is the heat! Even now that I could use a collapsible stock I've still got one lower with this set up. Give it a shot, if you're less than huge it has an excellent length of pull. Try it, you're gonna like it!
RG
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Try a Sully Stock
Plus Sully is a Industry Partner
www.defensive-edge.net/sullystockod.html

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:00:39 AM EDT
[#6]
If you use the A2 stock use the rilfe spring and rifle buffer. Do not try using the car buffer in the A2 stock
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:28:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

I haven't had a single problem with this.

Keep in mind, this is from the same place that said:

"Sometimes, when Colt has a bad day, they manufacture what is politely called a "large pin lower". Most would call it a reject. They come from a hole drilling placement error, so they just center it up in the right place and drill it out bigger. Instead of a proper .250" diameter hole (as our uppers have), you get a front pivot pin hole in the lower that is .312" diameter. "

www.mapartsinc.com/anything.asp

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#8]
You might want to take a look at an A-1 stock. It's 1" shorter in length than the A-2; I like them on my carbines, just seem to fit well for me. CDNN has complete A-1 kits, new in wrapper, for I think, around $50 (stock, buffer tube, buffer and spring).
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:03:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I think what Veromica was trying to say is they have seen problems with people using car buffers with rifle buttstocks.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You might want to take a look at an A-1 stock. It's 1" shorter in length than the A-2; I like them on my carbines, just seem to fit well for me. CDNN has complete A-1 kits, new in wrapper, for I think, around $50 (stock, buffer tube, buffer and spring).

Don't mean to sound picky, but it's 5/8"

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is my carbine with an A1 stock on it.
I too like the way it feels when taking aim.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been swapping uppers and lowers around every week.  If it's an A2/A1 stock, it gets a rifle buffer; LE and collapsible stocks get the carbine buffer.  So far no problems...most of my 16" rifles have full length stocks on 'em.  

I always that it was the buffer tube length that dictated what buffer to use.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Keep in mind, this is from the same place that said:

"Sometimes, when Colt has a bad day, they manufacture what is politely called a "large pin lower". Most would call it a reject. They come from a hole drilling placement error, so they just center it up in the right place and drill it out bigger. Instead of a proper .250" diameter hole (as our uppers have), you get a front pivot pin hole in the lower that is .312" diameter. "

www.mapartsinc.com/anything.asp

hr

This forum has been all over that before...  And it comes down to whether you believe that Colt makes large pin receivers due to the reason stated above, or because they are trying to intentionally be incompatible with the standard and everyone else.  Those are basically the two choices  Which is worse?  Incompetence or maliciousness?  The reasons they might do it intentionally would likely be some kind of misguided quest for marketing lock-in or an attempt to try to appease the government by making civilian lowers incompatible with military parts.  Seems like M&As reasoning is giving Colt the benefit of the doubt if you ask me.  I personally believe that Colt builds out of spec receivers on purpose, although I've heard that some people have seen some of their models ship with both small pin and large pin receivers in the same batch, which if true would seem to give the incompetence theory a little bit of credence.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top