Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2005 8:03:25 PM EDT
I have an Armalite postban upper, A2, 1x9 mid-length that I want to add a YHM 2 Piece railed handguards.  Question is will my Aimpoint on a PRI Gooseneck work with this combination??  My concern will the gooseneck, which is mounted on the carryhandle interfere or touch the YHM handguard and cause a shift in zero?  I will NOT be mounting the Aimpoint to the handguards.

Thanks for looking.

John
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know how the aimpoint mount will fit but my TD grip had to be modified to fit the YHM handguards.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:17:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I don't know how the aimpoint mount will fit but my TD grip had to be modified to fit the YHM handguards.

The Aimpoint mount he's talking about doesn't attach to the handguards and he's asking if it will fit without touching them.

I don't know if they'll clear or not.  If you cannot find a definitive answer then you mihgt want to consider the Surefire railed handguards which are smaller.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I think he reworded the question after I answered.  The original post has been edited.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm using a PRI gooseneck for my Eotech.  M4 handguards are too high to use with the gooseneck.  I have to use car handguards.  I believe there are two models though, the other model has more clearance for the handguards.  

What is the model number on the side of yours?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, thanks for the offer BF.  I have a choice of my Aimpoint, ACOG, or Eo-Tech and I am heading to the range tomorrow to make a choice on which optic im putting on the house gun.  It's been the ACOG, but I'm going to retest my shooting and see what happens.  My other option is buying a new upper dedicated for this.

Just as a FYI, I can't use the Surefire forend on this middy due to the triangular cap.  They don't make it yet in middy to handle it.  The PRI Gooseneck has no numbers on it, other than the zip code.

Here is a pic of it as mounted on the rifle, tad bit old

Thanks as always.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe that is the same mount I have.  I would guess that it won't work, it is too low for the M4 handguards.  I'll try and measure the height of my M4 handguards and YHM handguards tommorrow with the caliper to see what the height difference is.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Why are you wanting to add railed handguards?  Light, VFG, etc?  Keep in mind when looking @ YHM railed products that they're not picatinny spec.  They're weaver spec, which causes some mounts to require modification.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Why are you wanting to add railed handguards?  Light, VFG, etc?  Keep in mind when looking @ YHM railed products that they're not picatinny spec.  They're weaver spec, which causes some mounts to require modification.

Quoted:

I have added nothing to the rail other than the TD grip (which came with my handguard), I have no intention of adding anything else either.  I'm just trying to help answer his question.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry for the confusion, I was asking DragonRider what else he wanted to add.  I was merely using your quote as a reference for the rails being out of spec.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:33:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm trying to breathe a little new life into the rifle.  It was my first and got the A2.  Learned a good lesson.  I would like to add a VFG and a light to the rifle.  On the plastic handguard I currently have a GG&G UFIR which doens't give me enough realestate to use a light that is mounted on the UFIR.  I much prefer the offset mounts for light and my other rifle has that setup so I was trying to match.  

Between the handguard, end cap, and permanmently attached brake, my choice are limited.  

John
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#12]
DragonRider - I took some measurements.

Assuming we have the same version (I think we do)

Radius of YHM handguards = 1.218 inches
Radius of M4 handguards    = 1.290 inches (too tall for PRI rail)
Radius of CAR handguards  = 1.116 inches
Clearance between CAR handguards and PRI rail  = .113 inches

Maximum radius of handguard can be = 1.116 inches + .113 inches = 1.229 inches

Space between YHM and PRI = 1.229 inches - 1.218 inches = .011 inches

Mathmatically it should work.  Mine is torqued down to about the max so the measurements should be accurate.  11 thoudsanths of an inch isn't much though and its not your reciever so there could be a .011 difference in the specs of the reciever or handguards vs. mine.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:31:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Keep in mind when looking @ YHM railed products that they're not picatinny spec.  They're weaver spec, which causes some mounts to require modification.

No they are not Weaver spec, even if htere was such a thing.  They are Picatinny but are not as tightly toleranced as some other products which causes the Tango Down forward grip to be difficult to install.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top