Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2003 12:03:56 PM EDT
Okay, I'll admit up front maybe I'm a little anal about this.

Why is it most aftermarket A2 flash hiders don't have the flats (for the wrench) indexed properly?  Certainly Colt does not have a patent on such a minor detail, do they?  Is it that much cheaper to make if they don't have to bother lining up the cuts with the flats?

When I need an A2 flash hider, I usually go outy of my way to buy Colt because of this.  Functionally I know it does not matter but the FH just don't look right with the flats not being indexed.

Your comments and cheap shots are welcomed!
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#1]
[>:/]
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Colt's has some patents on the M4 Carbine, but the M16A2 is property of the USG making it public domain.  

I have to admit I've no clue what you're referring to, the M16A2 compensator's wrench flats are parallel to the top vent.  At least on everyone I've seen [;)].  Where ya buying compensators with funny wrench flats?

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Look at the flats on those from Bushmaster or DPMS.  I have not ordered from them for awhile now, and all the ones I have recieved in the past are not prallel to the top vent.  They are way off.  

Again, functionally it makes no difference, just wondering why.

Here is a good example from another thread:

[img]http://pic8.picturetrail.com/VOL237/1414390/2699681/33288863.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#4]
You're right!   Way too anal!
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Anal, YES!

But you gotta admit, it just don't look right.  Even Chuck has never seen one in the military.

So, my question is still unanswered.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Geez, I buy my Govt Model, NEW, at the local FFL,in Jan-1989, and I had to go look-- damn you-- my COLT supplied A2 compensator wrench flats are not square to the middle slot either.... Class action??
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#7]
It is because Colt indexes the FS with a peel washer.  Other manufactures run the unfinished FH on the barrel then machine the slots top dead center so they don't have to screw with a peel washer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 3:19:54 AM EDT
[#8]
In all my years of handling Colts at a friend's gunshop prior to 1994, I have never seen a Colt A2 FH that had the flats cut out of line from the TDC slot.  

Inkaybee, why would a company mill out the slots after putting them on a barrel?  Would it not be easier to buy A2 FH that are milled and ready to install on a barrel when assembling them?
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 3:30:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Other manufactures run the unfinished FH on the barrel then machine the slots top dead center so they don't have to screw with a peel washer.
View Quote

Set down the crack pipe inkaybee. That has to be the most ridiculous thing I've read tonight...online...on this board.

FALBert,
Other companies do it for the same reason they leave out other details like thread reliefs and drain holes. It's cheaper, several less steps in the manufacturing chain. They cut corners where they think people won't notice and where doing so, hopefully doesn't effect the operation of the weapon.

That said, I don't know if it is requirement for Colt flash suppressors. The alignment could simply be an after effect of the production process. I would wager that the flats are milled first then they are used as an index (becoming the "sides") for the slots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top