Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/17/2004 8:02:55 AM EST
Of all things, I thought this would be a simple task. The top screw (the one online with the buffer tube) won't budge. It's a Bushmaster stock. Is there anything that must be done prior to removal of this screw to remove the buttstock?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:50:41 AM EST

Bushmaster loves to use a red thread locking goop on the screw... On a few Bushmaster A2 stocks I've removed I had to literally stand on the stock and use both hands on a seriously large screwdriver to get the buttplate screw to budge... Once you've got the screw broken loose you can remove the stock... don't lose the takedown detent spring and detent...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:04:02 PM EST
Thanks DarkStar. (I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any steps before I tried that)
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:09:16 PM EST
Try putting some Breakfree CLP on the screw, and let it work down the threads for a few minutes.

It also helps to have a screwdriver with a long flat head, and something to torque the screwdriver with.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:30:16 PM EST
CLP is not a real good penetrant. Using KROIL or PB blaster is a little better..... and letting it sit overnight.

That being said, none of those will help with loctite, which has an epoxy base. Only heat, and that aint much of an option on the stock.

Get a big screwdriver... the appropriate size, to minimize slipping, and put some WEIGHT on that thing.

Second option, get a hammer/driver to remove it.

Last resort is to drill it out
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:38:12 PM EST
I'm in the same situation, and it's seriously sucking right now. My biggest flathead screwdriver isn't nearly large enough to fit the screw tightly.

Does anyone know how large of a flathead I'll need to get a proper grip on this screw?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:56:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/21/2004 12:58:35 AM EST by metroplex]
RRA used yellow loc-tite on the screw. I don't have it torqued down a whole lot and it hasn't jumped out.

If Bushmaster used RED loc-tite on that screw, then the guy(s) were being totally ridiculous because Red Loc-Tite is used on something you do not want coming out but its also something you will probably NEVER need to loosen... i..e. ring gear bolts on a differential that see 100 ft-lb of torque, not a flat head screw that sees at most 50 in-lb of torque. Blue loc-tite (if necessary) would be more appropriate.

Could you stick a soldering iron on the screw? It's bolted to an aluminum extension tube that can act as the heatsink. You just want to "shock" the loctite loose a little.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:38:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By JimGA:

Does anyone know how large of a flathead I'll need to get a proper grip on this screw?

The screwdriver I'm using for buttplate screws is a 3/8" and 14 or 15 inches long...
Top Top