Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/17/2005 5:35:45 AM EDT
For you masters of all things AR

I'm in the middle of a varmint build on a RRA lower.

Is there any difference in quality on A2 stocks. Am considering picking up a used one but want to know what to expect. I'm looking I guess for a take off used Colt, Armalite, or Bushmaster A2 stock with buffer and spring.

I just don't want to be surpised w/ a plastic buffer or a cheap all plastic part on the buttplate or something. Not that i'm planning to deliver any vertical buttstrokes to someones noggin.

Thanks,

SoS
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:53:39 AM EDT
The ones you mentioned are good quality.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:04:47 AM EDT
The actual butt portion, (plastic stock part) are typically manufactured by the same contractors due to the expansive foam (the yellow stuff on the inside). There are some substandard stocks out there though.
The real difference is in the remaining components to complete the assembly.
The buttplate and trapdoor assembly are the obvious differences. MILSPEC and Colt will have complete and crisp checkering on the aluminum door, and the door will be FLAT.
Cheap shit will have monkey checkering and are typically slightly arched.
The upper fastener on the butt should have a small vent hole in the center, and should have a blue nylon locking element on the threaded portion.
If at all possible, seek genuine Colt, as this is the real deal.
Bushmaster is also good, but I have seen MILSPEC plastic, but with monkey doors.
And last but not least, is the anodization of the aluminum components. If the part is brand new and it is visibly shiny, 99 percent of the time it is NOT MILSPEC.
Prior to MILSPEC anodization a step is taken to positively ensure that the subsequent processes produce a non reflective surface.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:24:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2005 4:24:37 PM EDT by SteelonSteel]
Now that's quality information!

I ordered a Colt as new take off w/plastic trap door for $45 shipped from member mhwwlmc. Mike is a great guy and gave me all sorts of info. all day today. Shipped it already too he did.

This is a great firearms support group here.

Only fair regarding relationships!(but good for laughs) LOL

SoS
Top Top