Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/17/2003 7:34:54 PM EDT
I hate the "wiggle" in my rear A2 1/2 MOA rear sights.  I can't really tell if it effects accurcy yet, but it just annoys me.  Have any of you tried drilling and pinning a rear sight?  Any other suggestions?  I'm thinking a cheap quick fix might be a shim on one side.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 9:55:13 PM EDT
[#1]
That sight does not wiggle, unless you want to do it by hand. It was adopted and pushed into service by the USMC riflemen because it is very accurate. It's a spring loaded system and has to do what it does to be as good as the in excess of over a million in service have succefully provided troops and civ's. over these many years. In other words don't try to fix something that ain't broke.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope, it won't affect accuracy.  Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, that's "one less thing."  Thanks fellas.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:42:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Firstly, make sure your rear sight has a spring loaded ball detent pushing along the left side and "canting" the whole elevation motion in a counterclockwise direction.  This should be a very strong action, and spring firmly back in place when you let it go of your fingers.
2nd.  If this is not so, replace the spring with a longer/heavier duty spring.
An alternative to a new spring, is to use the longest of the three that are components of the rear sight, or, drop a short length of appropriate diameter drill rod (make from the smooth end of a numbered drill) into the hole before re-installing the original spring.  This should "stiffen up" its counterclockwise bias.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top