Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/5/2003 7:58:20 PM EDT
I'm having problems with the A2 Flash Hider and crush washer. I'm wondering what tools will make it easier and which way the crush washer goes on or does it matter?

Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 8:36:39 PM EDT
It doesn't really matter which way the crush washer goes on, but I recommend the wider side of the crush washer go against the flash hider since it is wider than the barrel at that point. Just use any wrench that will fit the base of the flash hider, preferably one that isn't too wide. The crush washer 'swells' as you crush it and if the wrench hangs off the edge of the flash hider the crush washer will end up pressed against the wrench. You end up haveing trouble getting it tight enough and proabably scrape the black finish off the outside of the washer. As for finding the right size wrench, most AR barrel wrenches have a slot to tighten the flash hider or you can just hit Wal Mart or your local flea market and find a cheap open end or adjustable wrench that is thin enough to work. No need for expensive Snap-On tools for this unless those the only ones you can find that are the right size.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 10:44:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 3:13:49 PM EDT
Yeah I used a fixed wrench, happened to be a 3/4" Tbk1 recommended aluminum foil to protect the finish, it worked pretty well. I just really had to crank on it to tighten it up with that crush washer.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 4:50:00 PM EDT
I like to use a lock washer and only hand tight so I can change them quick and easily.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 5:52:00 PM EDT
When torquing the suppressor, is it ok to use an action block in the vice to immobilize the upper assebmly or should I stick to the barrel vice? My concern is that the action vice would obviously immobilize the receiver but that the pressure on the barrel and the resulting pressure on the barrel extension might cause the pin on the extension to twist (resulting in the need for excessive windage to zero) or even worse break the pin off. Is this concern unwarranted?
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 6:19:43 PM EDT
Barrel blocks to hold barrel for flash hider install.. 19mm wrench seems to fit the flats better than a 3/4, I found the 3/4 to be sloppy fit, tries to round the corner on the hiders' flats.
Top Top