Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2004 4:31:54 PM EDT
I was cleaning my AR today and I noticed something weird on my A2 flash hider.  Here's the picture and see if you find anything not normal with it.  

Bottom:

Top:

I have 8 AR's and almost all of them look like this: "this looks normal to me."

Bottom:

Top:

I don't know if it's just me but what do you guys think?  Appreciate your input.

Thanks,
556man

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Looks right to me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out that part where the wrench goes to tighten it.  Looks off to me.  Just my .02.  

556man
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, one side is larger than the other and their mill was chattering. On a cheap piece like that I doubt they care. You have sharp eyes.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#4]
while my A2 FS looks straight with the flats, I do know that some phamton FSs do that.  It's only cosmetic, and only aftermarket FSs do that, if you have a Colt or Bushy they'll be straight. at least that's how I understand it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
while my A2 FS looks straight with the flats, I do know that some phamton FSs do that.  It's only cosmetic, and only aftermarket FSs do that, if you have a Colt or Bushy they'll be straight. at least that's how I understand it.

Thats not an aftermarket fs, and all my premium flash suppressors have PERFECT machining.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

My other Ar's looks straight too with the flats.  This is what I see  on top when you look parallel to the Front sight tower.  Thanks guys for the input.

556man
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats not an aftermarket fs, and all my premium flash suppressors have PERFECT machining.

Oh, now I understand what he's talking about.  

I thought he meant the flats aren't exactly symmetrical with the slots.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, now I understand what he's talking about.  

I thought he meant the flats aren't exactly symmetrical with the slots.

You're right Darkest2000.  I was talking about the flats not being symmetrical with the slots. Kinda weird seeing the flats on the top of your barrel.

556man
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You're right Darkest2000.  I was talking about the flats not being symmetrical with the slots. Kinda weird seeing the flats on the top of your barrel.

556man

oh so I guess i was right.  Honestly I've never seen A2 FSs like that, but I'm sure it has no effect on the performance of the rifle. you mind to share whos the make?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

556man

oh so I guess i was right.  Honestly I've never seen A2 FSs like that, but I'm sure it has no effect on the performance of the rifle. you mind to share whos the make?

Yep.  No big deal and no effect on performance of the rifle.  I would replace it though since it's only a $5.00 part.  It just bothers me to see the flats on top of the barrel.  That's just me and I'm a picky guy.  No idea who made it since I got it at a gun show 2 months ago.

Thanks for the input.
556man
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yeah, one side is larger than the other and their mill was chattering. On a cheap piece like that I doubt they care. You have sharp eyes.

Yep.  Looks like the guy that milled this was drunk.  Got it at a gun show for $3.00.  Like they said you get what you pay for.  Thanks for the input Combat_Jack.

556man
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yep.  No big deal and no effect on performance of the rifle.  I would replace it though since it's only a $5.00 part.  It just bothers me to see the flats on top of the barrel.  That's just me and I'm a picky guy.  No idea who made it since I got it at a gun show 2 months ago.

Thanks for the input.
556man

Actually I would've done the same myself, picky guys rule!

one thing I found out just now, my Colt A1 FS isn't completely symmetrical to the slots either.  I think only A2s have the flats  intentionally cut symmetrically.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow?  You would care?  My A1 birdcages are all like that.  I dont time them so the flats are straight.... just torque them til they are tight.  If that was on mine, it would not bother me at all.  I'd just be DAMN HAPPY to have a FH up there!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Wow?  You would care?  My A1 birdcages are all like that.  I dont time them so the flats are straight.... just torque them til they are tight.  If that was on mine, it would not bother me at all.  I'd just be DAMN HAPPY to have a FH up there!

You misunderstood me.  It would bother me if most A2s are symmetrical and mine isn't.  But it wouldn't bother if if they're all like that.

So that means the A1s don't bother me.  But If I get an A2 that's not striaght it would.

And you're right, I'm damn happy to have a FS where I am, and since they're so precious, you can't blame me for wanting them to look as good as possible
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#15]
My A1 has the flats square with the slots.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My A1 has the flats square with the slots.

they don't line them up intentionally but everyonce a while you get lucky and have one that just happens to be square.

The A2s should be square because it needs to be timed, and it's easier if the wrench stays 90 degrees when the FS is timed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You misunderstood me.

No I didnt.

It would bother me if most A2s are symmetrical and mine isn't.  But it wouldn't bother if if they're all like that.  So that means the A1s don't bother me.  But If I get an A2 that's not striaght it would.

Thats exactly what I thought you meant.  And I personally just dont see it as an issue for me.... if anything, it would set *mine* apart.... especially since it has zero bearing on function/performance.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Thats exactly what I thought you meant.  And I personally just dont see it as an issue for me.... if anything, it would set *mine* apart.... especially since it has zero bearing on function/performance.

Well, if setting your rifle apart means using a defective item, then all the power to you I understand that it doesn't effect function but if it doesn't look the way it should then I would replace it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I guess I am more concerned about my guns being made to RUN.... no be pretty safe queens that look good.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I guess I am more concerned about my guns being made to RUN.... no be pretty safe queens that look good.

it's not about looking GOOD, it's about having parts that are made PROPERLY.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top