Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/7/2006 1:27:32 PM EDT
I've read through all of the buffer threads, including those contained in the archives from 2000 forward, in an effort to determine the ways to reduce recoil impulse.  (I know I can use Wolffe Xtra Power springs and/or an H2,H3,9mm buffer etc to increase the weight of the CAR buffer.) It appears, although it is not definitively stated anywhere, that you can use the heavier and longer A2 buffer in a CAR stock without issue. To those with experience, can you use an A2 buffer or is the A2 buffer too long to use in a CAR?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I may be wrong, but I don't believe the bolt carrier can travel all the way it needs to, if there is a rifle buffer in the shorter carbine buffer tube.

It should be easy to try by putting in the rifle buffer, and then seeing if you can pull your bolt back with the charging handle far enough to engage the bolt stop.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:35:49 PM EDT
[#2]
no go a M16 carrier can add weight.. + a A3 buffer or 9mm buffer
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I may be wrong, but I don't believe the bolt carrier can travel all the way it needs to, if there is a rifle buffer in the shorter carbine buffer tube.

It should be easy to try by putting in the rifle buffer, and then seeing if you can pull your bolt back with the charging handle far enough to engage the bolt stop.

Your 100% correct DK...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#4]
A rifle buffer in a carbine stock will hit the rear of the receiver extension hard, and may damage the lower receiver.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It appears, although it is not definitively stated anywhere, that you can use the heavier and longer A2 buffer
The A2 buffer is 5.2oz,  the "9mm" CAR buffer is 5.6oz......  

in a CAR stock without issue. To those with experience, can you use an A2 buffer or is the A2 buffer too long to use in a CAR?
The A2 is longer than the CAR, so why put it in a shorter tube ??? The action will not fully cycle proper... You want more weight in a CAR buffer, , buy an "A", "B", "X" buffer from Ken Elmore, or one the heavy CAR style buffers from "Slash".  If you wish to run a rifle stock assembly and want more weight,  dump the guts from the buffer, machine a brass dowel to fit inside, and that will get you to 7oz, that is what I run for 556 and 9mm.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top