Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 12:33:51 PM EDT
I'm wanting to assemble a basic A2 upper. What are the pros and cons of a 20" Govt profile barrel versus a 20" Heavy barrel? The first obvious is the difference in weight. What are some others?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If you get a true 20" Gov't barrel it will have a 1 in 7 twist rate.  Most of the heavy barrels I have seen in 20" length have 1 in 9 twist rates.

I carried a M16A2 with the 20" Gov't barrel in the US Army (my unit's armorer referred to it as a "false bull barrel") but on my next build I will be going with the 20" heavy barrel.  My road marching days are over have
Other than than a difference in twist and weight the only other difference I can think of would be that the thinner barrel could heat up quicker with rapid fire but I am not sure how much of a difference that would make.  

Keep safe.

CSP
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I love the HBAR.  It's out of chic right now, but I've never let the fads dictate my gear selection.

A lot of the fat bodies on this site cry about the extra weight.  Some of these yo yo's even have them turned down on the lathe.  But I've hiked and such with it, and It doesn't bother me a bit.  Shit.  If it's too heavy for you....  WORK OUT!

The extra weight actually helps me stay on target when shooting at longer distances.  I prefer it.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:46:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I love the HBAR.  It's out of chic right now, but I've never let the fads dictate my gear selection.

A lot of the fat bodies on this site cry about the extra weight.  Some of these yo yo's even have them turned down on the lathe.  But I've hiked and such with it, and It doesn't bother me a bit.  Shit.  If it's too heavy for you....  WORK OUT!

ha ha ha ha  +1

I have a 1:7 twist in my 16 Colt and its WAY ACCURATE! ! !
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I find the 20" Gov't profile is much better than the HBAR, because it points easier and balances so much better.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The extra weight actually helps me stay on target when shooting at longer distances.  I prefer it.

+1 Don't let the latest AR-15.com snob fad dictate what you get! This is from one of my earlier posts.
" Man if you hang out here to long you start to think that the only AR in the world is Colt,Mid-length,1/7 twist, Light weight 16" bbl, chrome lined, flat top with EOTech, Knights rails, LMT SOPMOD Buttstock. " Colt doesn't make a mid-length but if they did all other ARs would be shunned by the snobs!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#6]
HBARs are Dianne Feinstein approved.

Get one!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a HBAR that I am looking to get turned down.  I am perfectly capable of shooting it with the extra weight, but with rails, it's heavy as a pig in the front.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an HBAR and I think I'm going to get it turned down to Government Profile. The weight will sometimes get to you if you are carrying it around for a long time. You will find yourself constantly switching hands to relieve the muscle fatigue. It think a Government Profile barrels biggest advantage other than weight though would be how it balances the rifle out more so the majority of the weight is in the center rather than out front.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top