Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2006 12:29:57 PM EDT
I just ordered an A1 stock from Ameetec Arms this afternoon.  I figured the 5/8” difference in length may be a little better for my smaller frame.

Now a friend of mine tells me that the A1 stocks are made out of crappy material compared to the A2?  I’ll admit to not having done much research on it but I don’t ever remember reading about this anywhere.  I would assume they’d be the same or similar to A2s but I guess I’m wrong…

So who can enlighten me??  Did I make the wrong decision??
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#1]
No you are fine

If I am not mistaken, Ameetec A1's are just A1 sized stocks and not made from the original materials.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No you are fine

If I am not mistaken, Ameetec A1's are just A1 sized stocks and not made from the original materials.

Thanks redfisher... Thats what I was hoping to hear...

Can anyone else confirm as well ??
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#3]
If I am not mistaken, Ameetec distributes Cavalry Arms stocks, which are made of a nylon material and are very tough. They call their product the C1 stock.

The original A1 stock was made out of a weaker material.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Even if you did get an original A1 stock, you'd be good to go.  I've never read about the thing breaking off during perry stroke training of soldiers back in the day.

I run an original A1 on one of my guns.  If you aren't going to Iraq, I wouldn't sweat it.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Even if you did get an original A1 stock, you'd be good to go.  I've never read about the thing breaking off during perry stroke training of soldiers back in the day.

I run an original A1 on one of my guns.  If you aren't going to Iraq, I wouldn't sweat it.

Mega +1

Both of my Colt RR 16s wear standard A1s.  They are range toys.  The A1 LOP works best for me; the rifle buffer keeps ROF where I want it.  And I like the cheek weld.  I have no need for adjustable LOP.  I'm not knocking collapsibles or A2s.  But I don't bash folks over the head with these things.  The standard A1 is not exactly a glass slipper - amazingly, I've shot tens of thousands of rounds using these buttstocks without having one come apart in my hands.

If you need bulletproof, go CavArms.

Sam
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for this information.  I just checked Cavalry Arms site and it is indeed the C1.  Had I posted this earlier, I could've saved $10 too!  Oh wel...

No I won't going to Iraq... Just the range so either way I'll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a Colt A1 stock, which is the original material. Yes it is weaker, but so what? It is not too weak, just 'weak-ERR.'

I could make a stock stronger than the A2 stock and then tell people the A2 stock is weaker than my new stock.

The A2 stock is heavier also.

Which is better? The original A1 stock is better than the A2 stock for me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Aren't A1 stocks made with fiber glass?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

What you ordered is a CAVALRY ARMS C1/A1 buttstock which is a very good stock made out of Nylon 6.  The same buttstock found on the Army's SASS rifle made by Knights Armament less their buttplate and modifications.  It is now considered I believe, Milspec......

Perfect!  Just wanted to be sure I was making a good choice!

Appreciate your clarification.....  THANK YOU SIR  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#11]
 I run A1 stocks on my riflesalso. The size fits me better. While the A2's are stronger. The A1's are very durable also. IMO Wardawg
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Just ordered an A1 stock for my Carbine from Tapco for $7.99.  Other AR15.com members report that it is a genuine CavArms stock.

http://www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=STK090114&back=yes&dept=197&last=21
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Just ordered an A1 stock for my Carbine from Tapco for $7.99.  Other AR15.com members report that it is a genuine CavArms stock.

http://www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=STK090114&back=yes&dept=197&last=21

$8.00 ???

Genuine Cavalry Arms??  Even Cavalry sells it for $45...  How can this be possible?  Dunno but I'd rather not take any chances......
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#14]
AR-USP,

There is a nice long thread on A1 stocks here:

Read all about A1 stocks here!

Yes, tapco has the same stock you just bought for 8 bucks... they are apparently getting rid of their inventory.

What you bought from Ameetec was probably the complete stock... as in buffer tube, buffer, spring, etc...

Basically, the 55 bucks you paid is for you to be able to put the stock right on your rifle.

Buying the tapco stock is just the stock body. You would then have to buy the rest of the parts somewhere else and with shipping and such, you would have only saved you about 15 bucks.

While 15 bucks is 15 bucks, I dont think you got ripped off.... If I had not found a Colt "CS" stock (the best of the best in A1 stocks), I would have gone the Ameetec route myself.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What you got was a complete Cav stock with upgraded A2 buttplate and USGI sling loop buffer, spring, and tube .....ready to put on your rifle.  (New production run, within the last 12 months)  At that price, you got a really good deal.  Just an FYI.  Thanks for the order and will go out tomorrow.

Thanks much!  I'm sure it'll be fine.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#17]
The Cav Arms stock is awesome.  I have both original A1s and C1s.  Either is a great choice if you are of smaller stature like me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:16:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Does the Ameetec come with mil spec hardware?  He mentioned that it has the A2 buttplate upgrade, but does it come with the mil screw with the drainage hole?

Anyone have pics of their ameetec?
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:31:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Does the Ameetec come with mil spec hardware?  He mentioned that it has the A2 buttplate upgrade, but does it come with the mil screw with the drainage hole?

Anyone have pics of their ameetec?

Not too sure markm... But it appears Ameetec is selling a high quality A1 stock which is what I'm looking for.  Ameetec did post that it had a USGI swivel and A2 buttplate...  If by chance it doesn't come with the slotted drainage screw, I'll just get one from Bushy when I order my Predator upper.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:35:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah!

Cuz if you order from Cavarms direct, It's my understanding that it will come with non standard butt plate assemblies and no drainage hole and such.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm going to have to stop by an visit Warren.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top