Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 9:23:19 AM EDT
Can anybody give me a quick run down on A1 sight adjustments? I received a rifle with an A1 upper in trade, and I have no idea how the rear sight works on the thing.

When I got it, the dial was set at 500. Moved it back around to 200, for sighting in. Is there a windage adjustment available with the flat head screw on the side of the sight? If there is an adjustment, is there

Also, the rear aperture holes both look to be the same size, is this correct?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#1]
A1 sights do not have a 500 or a 200 setting. Not sure what you're talking about.

The rear sight is fixed and moves left and right for windage only. The only marking should be an arrow on the right side of the upper receiver near the wheel on that side, and some wheels have markings onthem as well.

There is a detent in the back of one of the holes in the wheel on the right side of the upper receiver. There are tools available to make the adjustment but a bullet works too. Press the detent in far enough to move the wheel in the direction you want the strike of the bullet to go.

The rear sight on an A1 adjusts the same as on an A2 but the A2 has a knob you turn with your fingers and the A1 has a wheel you turn after depressing the detent button.

Do not use the flat head screw. It is for installation only. The rear aperature holes on some models are the same size but they are on a different plane. The idea was to zero on one setting then flip the sights and you can engage targets out to 300 meters with no additional sight adjustments. Some models have a very large aperature for low light shooting.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I meant the wheel on the side was set at "500", and I set it back to "200". That was the easy part.

How is the windage adjustment made?

Seems like it's pretty simple, maybe I'll just go shoot it, and see what happens.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you talking about the numbers on the windage knob?

Those are not distances, its just witness marks to help be constant in setting or changing windage settings.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#4]
The rear sight on the A1 is NOT adjustable for elevation. It is windage adjustable ONLY.

Here's the U.S. Army 250 Meter Battlesight Zero For the M16 & M16A1 Rifle
instructions as provided by The Maryland AR15 Shooters Site.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I get it, now. I was under the assumption, that the knob was for elevation. good thing I asked, I would've been all screwed up at the range. Thanks for the help guys, as usual ARFCOM pulls through.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top