Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/19/2003 1:48:36 PM EDT
I got my parts (but with an A2 aperature), but I have a couple of questions.
1) There's supposed to be some kind of leaf spring under the aperature like the A2 right?
2) How do I get that super-tiny roll-pin into the end of the screw?
3) Is there some way of indexing the adjustment wheel?
4) anyone have a link to instructions on all of this? My USMC manual doesn't appear to cover the A1s, haha.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:31:37 PM EDT
I found an instructional on the net for swapping an A1 aperture for an A2, but the page will not load when I click on it. It is the third link down [url=http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=A1+sight+instructions&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26amp%3BrequestId%3D7­08b2d9c35251ea5%26amp%3BclickedItemRank%3D10%­26amp%3BuserQuery%3DA1%2Bsight%2Binstructions­%26amp%3BclickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252F­groups.msn.com%252FTheMarylandAR15ShootersSite%252Ftipst­ricks.msnw%26amp%3BinvocationType%3D-%26amp%3BfromPage%3DNSCPTop&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fgroups.msn.com%2FTheMarylandAR15ShootersSite%2Ftipstrick­s.msnw]here[/url].
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:12:35 PM EDT
I sent an email to the manager of the Maryland AR15 site about the broken link, as I also have the parts in hand but no instructions available on how-to!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:03:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Dawg180: I sent an email to the manager of the Maryland AR15 site about the broken link, as I also have the parts in hand but no instructions available on how-to!
View Quote
the only thing I really need to know is how to index the wheel. the rest seems pretty obvious, if tedious. The roll pin will be a pain, but I think I can get it. And I found out fromt he bushmaster print catalog that came with my parts that they do have a listing for the leaf spring. whoops.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:09:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/20/2003 7:11:20 AM EDT by gregw45]
Originally Posted By norman74: 1) There's supposed to be some kind of leaf spring under the aperature like the A2 right? 2) How do I get that super-tiny roll-pin into the end of the screw? 3) Is there some way of indexing the adjustment wheel? 4) anyone have a link to instructions on all of this? My USMC manual doesn't appear to cover the A1s, haha.
View Quote
I've done this mod to all my A1 uppers and ARMS#38s. 1) Yep. Make sure the windage screw is fully seated left-to-right. If not seated the screw will sit crooked and try to rotate on it's threads (LH side). 2)Before re-assembly, make sure the roll pin is already half installed into the windage drum. That way you can just eyeball the roll pin through the drum and tap home when it's all lined up. 3)Select any position that gives you the most room to work with a roll pin punch and turn the opposite end of the windage screw with a screwdriver to align the pin/holes. 4)This mod is easy to do and hard to explain. You'll do fine.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:52:16 AM EDT
Actually for the record, it's a stripped upper I'm trying to mount a new sight into. I just figured I'd use the A2 aperature since so many other people seem to make the change. I just forgot that damn leaf spring because it's not listed on the Bushmaster website, only in the print catalog. Now I have to order a $.50 part and probably pay these guys $5 shipping.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:22:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/20/2003 8:23:47 AM EDT by Forest]
First off my apologies for the broken link. I recently removed that page to make room for some new (and more important) content.
Originally Posted By norman74: 1) There's supposed to be some kind of leaf spring under the aperature like the A2 right?
View Quote
Correct
View Quote
Easiest way is to first put it into the hole in the side of the sight adjustment drum. Once its in there (needle nose pliers helps if you don't have the correct roll pin tool). Then you place the Sight Adjustment Drum on the end of the screw. Align the pin & hole - then I find using a pair of pliers (like channel locks) I can squeeze the pin into the hole (be very careful).
View Quote
Never intended to be indexed. However once you zero the upper you could put a paint mark on the adjustment drum and carry handle.
4) anyone have a link to instructions on all of this? My USMC manual doesn't appear to cover the A1s, haha.
View Quote
Sorry I took down the page (though it might still exist in the deja-vu archive). E-mail me if you are still having trouble - I might have a copy of an old -23&P at home with instructions I can scan.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:03:14 AM EDT
I had to swap sight drums last week. Pain in the ass without to right tools. I had the upper resting in my lap and punched out the roll pin with a drill bit using a regular nail hammer. I just invested in a good vice and punches to say the least.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:32:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Forest: First off my apologies for the broken link. I recently removed that page to make room for some new (and more important) content.
Originally Posted By norman74: 1) There's supposed to be some kind of leaf spring under the aperature like the A2 right?
View Quote
Correct
View Quote
Easiest way is to first put it into the hole in the side of the sight adjustment drum. Once its in there (needle nose pliers helps if you don't have the correct roll pin tool). Then you place the Sight Adjustment Drum on the end of the screw. Align the pin & hole - then I find using a pair of pliers (like channel locks) I can squeeze the pin into the hole (be very careful).
View Quote
Never intended to be indexed. However once you zero the upper you could put a paint mark on the adjustment drum and carry handle.
View Quote
Sorry I took down the page (though it might still exist in the deja-vu archive). E-mail me if you are still having trouble - I might have a copy of an old -23&P at home with instructions I can scan.
View Quote
Forest, Any way we could get that as a tacked thread or something similar here at ar15.com? I have tried registering over at the Maryland site and am having problems that no one can seem to solve. I have all my tools nd parts, and no idea what I am doing... thanks, Dawg
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:45:15 AM EDT
Dawg, We probably could - though it would be tacked up in the Building or Maintenace forums rather than here. I would also convert it to PDF and store it at MD-AR15.com for downloading. What kind of problems are you having when registering at MD-AR15.com?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:12:34 PM EDT
Norman74 - I'll need an e-mail address to send you the file.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:30:13 PM EDT
norman74, Do you still need a leaf spring?
Top Top