Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/12/2003 6:40:59 PM EDT
I currently have A2 sights but am planning on a new upper receiver?

Should I stick to A2?

Thanks

CRC
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#1]
for me the A2 aperture works better than the A1, it gives me abetter sight picture for short distances and a precise sight for longer range. whereas the apertures on the A1 looks the same except for the difference in height. If you are planning to get a new upper, the A3 top looks cool, you can mount an optical sight with a back up retractable iron sights
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I like A1 uppers as a matter of asthetics.  They are "sleek" in my opinion.  Very no-frills military.  If you were perhaps interested in a classic looking upper, then A1 is the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#3]
A2 works best for me.

But, since you gotta use it, go with whatever works for you.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I like A1 simply because there are less parts to break, less knobs to fiddle with, not to mention you can usually save $40-50 on A1 uppers vs. A2 uppers.  Besides, then you have that "old school" look [;)]

You can also switch out the aperture to an A2 type for short/long range peeps and put on a "rapidex" knob so you don't need a tool to adjust windage for about $10 each.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:33:24 AM EDT
[#5]
For the shooting that most shooters do, A1 is all that is necessary.

And then when you start talking A2 sights on a gun without the 20" sight radius, the math is all F'ed up, so it's kinda pointless.

And last but not least, A2 sights are a pain in my ass when you have to put them together.  Especially when it's 50 of the friggen things.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 2:47:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I say go with the A1 if you want a fixed carry handle.  Just switch the A1 aperture with the A2 or better yet, an XS same plane sight system.  Otherwise, go with a flattop with adetachable carry handle or a BUIS of some kind.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I changed out my two A2 upper receivers for A1/C7's. I never used the elevation wheel, and the A2 aperature is too big. I did, slightly, customize/oversize the A1 aperatures, I even changed the aperature in my #40 to an A1.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#8]
If you are doing a lot of sight adjustments, get the A2. If you are setting BSZ and leaving it alone, get the A1.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I like A1 simply because there are less parts to break, less knobs to fiddle with, not to mention you can usually save $40-50 on A1 uppers vs. A2 uppers.  Besides, then you have that "old school" look [;)]

You can also switch out the aperture to an A2 type for short/long range peeps and put on a "rapidex" knob so you don't need a tool to adjust windage for about $10 each.  
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I say go with the A1 if you want a fixed carry handle.  Just switch the A1 aperture with the A2 or better yet, an XS same plane sight system.
View Quote

This is the answer.  A1 is lighter and tougher than the A2 the only thing bad about the A1 is the aperature and it is easily swapped.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Since I don't have the eyesight (who does?) to hit anything at 500-800 yards with iron sights, the elevation adjustment on the A2 is just not necessary for me.  On my older A1 uppers there was just no good reason to buy a new upper receiver.  

BUT, I DO like the larger aperture of the A2 for close range and rapid target aquisition.  I switched the rear leaf for the A2, and had years ago when first I built these rifles installed the Rapidex windage knobs.  

Also, consider switching the A1 round front sight post for the A2 square front sight post.  This DOES give a sharper image.  Also, in certain lighting conditions, light coming in from the side, the round front post is not sharp.

These changes, the A2 rear leaf, Rapidex knob, and A2 front post, will give you sights that will shoot as well for most shooters as a full A2 setup.

Now, when was the last time you adjusted the elevation dial on the A2?  See what I mean?

This is all easy and cheap to do.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys. Switch out aperatures and then get a Rapidex knob if I go A1.

CRC
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top