Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2007 4:16:52 PM EDT
Have a question guys. I ended up having to buy a complete lower half with A2 furniture. The wholesaler wouldnt part it out. Ive got my own A1 pistol grip and early non trapdoor buttstock. I know the A2 stock is longer and has a spacer with a longer screw. My question is this how much would I have to shorten the A2 screw? Do I take 5/16 off, or is the overall lenth of a A1 screw 5/16? I really dont want to order just a screw shipping would cost more than the part. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#1]
A1 screw is .662" long (TOTAL length, not just threads)
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#2]
The phrase "buttstock screw" sounds rude.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont own a set a calipers so how much would I have to take off the A2 screw? thanks
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you can get by with cutting it in half.

Nobby, its really rude if you have an early "buttstock screw" with a hole in it.

Melvin, if you screw it up send me an email. I have an extra I will send you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 3:38:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The phrase "buttstock screw" sounds rude.  

Second that!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:46:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Why does the screw have to be shortened?  Is it because the buffer may come back far enough to hit the tip of the screw?  It doesn't seem to me that it comes that far back, especially with the spring compressing.  When I put my A1 stock on, I just removed the spacer and used the A2 screw. However, I haven't fired it yet...am I being stupid?  Should I get a shorter screw?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:50:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
...am I being stupid?  Should I get a shorter screw?

It won't work.  The buffer will hit the screw.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:05:58 AM EDT
[#8]
THe best thing you can do is cut the screw down; I did that before I received two of the shorter screws in the mail. (couldn't wait to get my stock screwed in place).
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:04:19 AM EDT
[#9]
What is the thread pitch on that screw? 1/4" by 20?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What is the thread pitch on that screw? 1/4" by 20?

Thanks

I think is 1/4 x 28 (not sure); I bought a pair of nuts in that thread pitch to act as guides, so if I had to cut another A2 stock nut, I would cut it the proper lenght; I'll have to take the nut over to the local Home Depot to see what is the right thread pitch (and to buy a couple more for the spare box.

I'll post the right thread when I get back. BRB.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top