Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 8:03:13 PM EDT
Can anyone post pictures showing the difference between an A1 and and A2 lower? I'm building an SP1 copy and I cant decide who's parts I will mate with the colt upper that I picked up from CDNN. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not build an M16 copy?  You already have the upper....

If it helps, here is a picture of my SP-1.  You will certainly pay more for this type of lower receiver, but if its what you want, I wish the best of luck.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, that is exactly what I want. Please point me in the right direction.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is an A1 lower.. Pretty much the same as Stickmans, but has the raised mag fence. Doesnt have the shoulder reinforcements. If you look at an A2 the front pushpin area is beefier as well. These are the best pics Ive got.

Here is an A2

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, back up a little. Which type of lower would be correct for a late 60s M16A1?
ETA. I still don't see the difference.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Stickmans Sp1 would be the best reference for what you want to build. Look at my pics A1 at the top, A2 at the bottom. Front push pin area is beefier on the A2. The rear pushpin area is beefier on the A2 as well.. sorry hard to see in my pics.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#7]
The only diffenence is the area around the takedown pins? If thats the case I might as well use an A2 lower. I'm building a shooter, not a exact replica. Will the color of my upper match a current production lower? Will an A2 BC and CH work?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#8]
B, C , & CH will work fine.. Color is a different story.. Match is a toss up. Possible but unlikely.. You can refinish for a reasonable amt... If you do refinish, do both peices at the same time and you will have an exact  color match..

Many threads on this..
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok great. I just want to make sure that I understand the answer to my original question. An A2 is beefed up around the takedowns but otherwise identical to an A1. Correct? I just want to thank you guys for all of the great info. I will start ordering parts asap.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ok great. I just want to make sure that I understand the answer to my original question. An A2 is beefed up around the takedowns but otherwise identical to an A1. Correct? I just want to thank you guys for all of the great info. I will start ordering parts asap.

Pics when you are done please.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#11]
you got it!!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top