Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 7:17:12 AM EDT
Like the title says, how much to A1-style (full fence) Colt SP1 lowers go for and how hard are they to find?

Judging from a search of the archives, they run $400+ and aren't easy to find.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#1]
There are a few companies talking about making clones, but the Colts are gobbled up by the AWB states.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm on Colt-653's list.  I'd pay more to assemble an "all Colt" rifle, but won't pay $400+ for the lower.

I also made another post asking if Colt ever made an M16A1-style SP1 (with a forward assist and full-fence lower).  My objective is a very authentic semi-auto (I'm in WA and am red-tape averse, anyway) version of the M16A1s I used in the Army in the early '80s.

Who else is talking about making A1 lowers?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I feel your pain in WA state, and I'm still worked up over our SBRs......

Colt made a lot of things is small groups that weren't normal runs, but I'm not sure I've seen any of them like that.  The CDNN upper on a standard lower makes for a nice rifle.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#4]
You can get into trouble saying never in regard to Colt's, but I will do it just this one time, Colt's never did sell semiautomatic rifles with lowers made from A1 forgings.  As stated above there are other brands that did in the 1980's but they are expensive due to ban states.  ASA is making a batch of semiautomatic lowers from A1 forgings right now:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=264233
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You can get into trouble saying never in regard to Colt's, but I will do it just this one time, Colt's never did sell semiautomatic rifles with lowers made from A1 forgings.  As stated above there are other brands that did in the 1980's but they are expensive due to ban states.  ASA is making a batch of semiautomatic lowers from A1 forgings right now:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=264233

Thanks.  I guess an "all Colt" version of what I want is out of the question if they never made it.

I was aware of the ASA plans.  I'm on the waiting list for a gray A1-style lower, gray charging handle and A1-style  selector switch to go with my Colt upper from CDNN.

Quoted:
I'm on Colt-653's list.

Quoted:
I feel your pain in WA state, and I'm still worked up over our SBRs......

Are you in WA Stickman?  What happened to SBRs? (I'm somewhat new to the whole AR thing, so I dn't know.)
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Thanks.  I guess an "all Colt" version of what I want is out of the question if they never made it.

There is one other option, a Norrell's semiautomatic reweld, but those are as rare as they are expensive.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#7]
No thanks - I'm not paying a premium for a reweld.  I'll wait for Colt-653's A1-style ASA lowers.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What happened to SBRs? (I'm somewhat new to the whole AR thing, so I dn't know.)

SBRs are not legal here, and haven't been for the past 10 years or so.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:21:47 AM EDT
[#9]
We don't get any of the fun stuff here - I understand we can't use sound suppressors, either.  I met a guy at a range who works for a suppressor manufacturer.  He said we can own them, but using them is a gross misdemeanor under state law.  Then he said something about "if a suppressor gets used in the woods..."  At least I'm not in CA.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top