Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/22/2005 9:46:19 AM EDT
Hey guys,

I need to get a couple of A1\A2 receiver extensions (buffer tubes). I’m assuming USGI spec is forged aluminum(?) but I know there are some extruded AL as well as some plastic units out there. (If I’m wrong about any of this please let me know).

So, does anybody other than Colt use forged receiver exts.? What does BM, RRA, etc. normally use? Do any of you have a good source (i.e. inexpensive and in-stock) for forged A1\A2 receiver exts.?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
www.aceltdusa.com/ar15.htm

Thanks for the link but are those steel, aluminum or plastic? Forged or extruded or (?) ?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#3]
About half way down the page
www.yankeehillmachine.com/store/misc.html
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#4]
The only difference I've ever seen between Colt extensions, and that of two aftermarket makers, DPMS and Bushmaster, is that Colt does a good job of putting the final finish over the black anodized surface of the exterior, Bushie doea a half assed job, and DPMS just uses the black anodizing as the final finish.  Otherwise, they're all identical to my eyes.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input and links guys. Those YHM's look promising and the price is right!

I am curious if they are forged or extruded or if it even matters? Probably not but I am anal that way.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Off the description.

Reciever Extension/Buffer tube
Precision CNC machined from solid 7075-T6 aluminum.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#7]
There are two types of buffer tubes, Mil-Spec and commercial types. They have different tube diameters.

The Mil-Spec stocks will not fit the commercial buffer tubes and the commercial stocks won't fit Mil-Spec tubes.

Colt, LMT, Stag/ CMT, Vltor and other Mil-Spec brands are compatible and could be interchanged.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
There are two types of buffer tubes, Mil-Spec and commercial types. They have different tube diameters.

The Mil-Spec stocks will not fit the commercial buffer tubes and the commercial stocks won't fit Mil-Spec tubes.

Colt, LMT, Stag/ CMT, Vltor and other Mil-Spec brands are compatible and could be interchanged.

Ummm. Believe the man was asking about  rifle type tubes; not collapsible stocks.  Rifle tubes are all the same diameter, no matter who made them

On the other hand, maybe he was asking about carbine tubes, using rifle terminology.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Ummm. Believe the man was asking about  rifle type tubes; not collapsible stocks.  Rifle tubes are all the same diameter, no matter who made them

On the other hand, maybe he was asking about carbine tubes, using rifle terminology.

Ah, you're right, he didn't say if it's for a rifle or carbine.

If it's for a rifle, the M16 tubes should be the stronger material than the one for the AR-15.

For my last A2 rifle build, I just used the AR-15 tube because they cost less.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ah, you're right, he didn't say if it's for a rifle or carbine.

Really? I thought asking about A1\A2 receiver ext. was pretty self explanatory?

Oh Well, I found what I needed and ordered them today so it's all good.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top