Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/3/2006 8:00:11 PM EDT
I placed a small order with Denny last week, we got to talking about different configurations and he mentioned he liked the old A1 rifles and that they shot good enough. I was at a gun show this weekend and found a new Colt upper so what the heck I bought it. (thanks Denny)

Anyway, it's a 1/12 twist chrome lined barrel and my thoughts are since it's a 20" barrel yet very light would it be worth it to put a flat top on it so I could mount a scope? I know barrels all shoot different but has anyone used one of these barrels in a free float flat top build? If so how did it turn out? I had a lightweight carbean that would do about 1 1/2" groups but it was 1/9 twist. Basicly how do these guns tend to shoot.

What should I do with it? I never liked the triangle handguards so I bought a set of round ones for now. Any pics or ideas are greatly appreciated. I just can't leave nothing alone.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:10:13 AM EDT
they will shoot very well as long as you use bullets under 60gr in weight. They give up nothing in performance until you get past 300 yards. If a free float tube is not used, you can't use a good tight loop sling on them because pressure from the sling will change point of impact (barrel does not "bend" as some have claimed.) I had a very well worn a1 barrel that after tens of thousands of rounds and several inches of vERY visible throat erosion would still holt 2-3 " at 100 yards
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:29:28 AM EDT
i have a 20" A1 barrel that was free floated (at one time) and it would shoot 2 to 3" at 100 yds with decent ammo and a 4x scope. i think my biggest problem was the type of ammo. south african battle pack is not all that great for target shooting.

i have wilson barrels with 1in7 and 1in8 twist that shoot the SA about the same so i dont think barrels matter all that much sometimes. ammo seems to be a bigger factor given that you have any one of the quality barrels out there.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:55:44 AM EDT
here are some renditions of what my A1 barrel has gone through,,

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:51:22 PM EDT
mr_h, that top pic gave me the direction I needed. If this one shoots at all, I'm gonna try to build something very similar. Thanks!
Top Top