Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2004 5:47:36 PM EDT
I'm looking for another source for sub-sonic 9mm ammunition, and came across the Silver Bear 145grn 9mm load. Does anybody know if this ammunition is sub-sonic? It will be running in a suppressed AR.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#1]
145gr will be subsonic, I'm sure. You can't get a heavy 9mm to break the speed of sound without some majorly hot loads. IPSC shooters tried it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
145gr will be subsonic, I'm sure. You can't get a heavy 9mm to break the speed of sound without some majorly hot loads. IPSC shooters tried it.

Silver Bear lists their 145grn 9mm "pistol ammunition" at 1035 fps.  I'm afraid I'm going to be pushing the envelope shooting it in a 10.5" Colt.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:43:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried some of the "BROWN BEAR" 145HP,,,, May as well have left the suppressor of the gun... It was that F%$KING LOUD!!

Shot it out the 8.5" AR and 10.25" Uzi, both with the AWC Mk9.    

I say buyer beware with the Silver Bear also,  though joeblack has said it is sub-sonic for him?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:47:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I think I'm going to buy some to T&E.  I e-mailed the distributor and he said that it chrono'd at around 1015 fps.  Depending on the burn rate of the powder they're using, I should be alright.

I'll see about getting some of the Silver Bear, running it through my Colt with the SWR suppressor, and posting the results.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:57:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Special K from Alambama Ammo is renowned 9mm sub-sonic ammo.  $150/K + shipping.  They have a website, but special K isn't listed (www.alabamaammo.com) but they know what it is if you call and ask.

Joe
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:46:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Special K from Alambama Ammo is renowned 9mm sub-sonic ammo.  $150/K + shipping.  They have a website, but special K isn't listed (www.alabamaammo.com) but they know what it is if you call and ask.

Joe

I'm VERY familiar with the commonly available sub-sonic rounds, and some of the commonly tested rounds (like the Special K).  The Silver Bear 145 grn 9mm is $99/K + shipping, which beats the heck out of any other ammunition used for informal purposes.  If it's sub-sonic, it'll be the deal of the century.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top