Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/3/2005 10:43:30 AM EDT
To lessen ear damage, and for other reasons, I'm looking at using my to-be-built 9mm AR carbine as my home defense weapon of choice. I am also planning to SBR the carbine to the "ideal" length...whatever that may be. So, my questions are thus:

1. What is the best length for a 9mm carbine, as far as velocity of the round is concerned?
2. What rounds will be the best performers our of this barrel? Will WWB 147gr JHPs be a good choice?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:36:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2005 6:58:53 AM EDT by thompsondd]

Originally Posted By Collin:
To lessen ear damage, and for other reasons, I'm looking at using my to-be-built 9mm AR carbine as my home defense weapon of choice. I am also planning to SBR the carbine to the "ideal" length...whatever that may be. So, my questions are thus:

1. What is the best length for a 9mm carbine, as far as velocity of the round is concerned?
2. What rounds will be the best performers our of this barrel? Will WWB 147gr JHPs be a good choice?

If you are going the SBR route, I would say 10.5/11" max. The 9mm is a pistol bullet and is designed to fully burn in short barrels. Anything longer is overkill and works against the bullet.

For ammo, I would suggest Winchester Ranger or Speer Gold Dot for defense. WWB does fine for plinking.

It's still going to be loud though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:19:03 AM EDT
Hollowpoints do not always feed in the Colt pattern guns.
Top Top